1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flickr Non Valid

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by ReD, Jun 7, 2015.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Just tried loading up a collage image to Flickr - upload timed out on a 3.7MB file then I clicked on the image & a message came up "This does not look like a valid photo"

Duhh No .. it was a collage not a photo - but an image nevertheless.

If this was the case about 50% of my images would not be accepted.

Anyone else had problems?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've been having some upload issues today. Me thinks the Flickr servers might be having some issues. Wait a few hours and see if it persists. It generally works itself out.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I never have, but I've never tried to upload a collage either...

I have had the occasional really slow upload or image failed to load, but never for a stated reason other than they're stuff was running slow or badly. Usually doesn't last more than a few minutes though...

-Ray

5. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Oh well, new Flick just s***s. Why fix something which isn't broken? I don't get it

6. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Its nothing to do with collages I tried with a couple of straight photos & get the same
    I guess its Sunday

7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Now Uploaded OK

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Even is something isn't broken, adding improvements and making it better isn't a terrible idea. Flickr has added a number of features over the last few years. Some of them I've liked, some I haven't, but most of the ones I haven't they've continued to work on until I did. And overall I think the experience and the service has gotten better, at least for how I use it. Sure, every time you change something you risk making a mistake instead of an improvement, but that's a reason not to try to improve something? I don't see it that way...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    If there was never any change... then nothing would change.

10. Matero

Matero SC Veteran

Dec 25, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yes, basically you're both right. And normally I'm early adaptor for almost everything. My comment rose from huge frustration of Flickr not working, again. I'm recently faced only but troubles with Flickr. When it's working it is doing its purpose and I admit the user experience of new features is developed. However, reliability hasn't been one of the features I recognized lately :(

11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    True, the reliability has taken a few shots here lately, but I honestly thought it could have been worse given the large scale changes that were made. With the amount of images and data they are throwing around, there are bound to be hiccups. So long as they don't go on for more than a few months....and we need to be diligent about reporting them.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    I haven't noticed any more reliability issues lately than I have at any point along the way. Every now and then it'll choke on an image or two during an upload but it's EXTREMELY rare when I'm at home using my very high bandwidth connection. When I've been traveling or staying somewhere with a less known internet connection is when I've had the bulk of the problems. So maybe the problem isn't at Flickr's end? Or maybe it's a weakest link in the chain kind of thing and sometimes they're the weakest link and sometimes our setup might be? I don't know, but I've been fine in terms of reliability - I just occasionally don't like some new feature they've added, although that's usually just for as long as it takes for me to find the OTHER feature(s) they've added that makes the first "bad" one a non-issue.

-Ray