Flickr to Ipernity (SC Group set-up)

Test

do you have to be a paid member to embed an image on another site?

does everyone post images at the 1024 x ? size -- (I always post images at the 800 x ? size on the net)

Images - when they are initially shown on the screen they are at the 800 x size - is that correct

If you want to see a bigger size you have to click on the image and chose another size - is that correct

1. Yes - unless someone has discovered a workaround
2. I post at 1024 but there's no requirement to do so. You can post at 800 if you wish
3. You can set how images are initially shown - small thumbs (100px), large thumbs (240px) or single image (640px). You change this in settings. You can allow your visitors to pick their own (I think this is the default setting) or set your preference only.
4. When you click on any image you get a 640px display initially.
5. To get other sizes you use the drop down box to the right of the image (below the filmstrip) labelled 'More options'.

I have just joined the group. I joined the site a few days ago but find it is a bit awkward to get to find stuff. Joining groups seems to be the best way to see and post what you like.

Can my DSLR be an "honorary" member of the SC group - I cheat most of the time in that 80% of my shots are with a DSLR - I still use my M8, Canon S95, Nikon V1 and M4/3 stuff ……… but I have become "wedded" to my D300/D7100 and Nikon AF-S 300mm f4 with the x 1.4TC ………… to which I have just added the Nikon 300mm f2.8 VR and x 2 TC lll

so take pity on an OAP and "turn a blind eye"

Yeah, the "new photo experience" used to be pretty easy to opt out of. Sometime in the last day or so they made it the default option. If there's a way to see it the way it was before, I don't see it. There are some things I either haven't figured out how to do yet or you just can't. It's easy enough to get the code for linking to photos on Amin's forums, but it takes an extra couple of clicks to do it and Flickr doesn't remember the last size used - it always seems to default to a long edge of 500 pixels. And I can't for the life of me find the link I've always used to link to DPR forums. For that you used to select the size you wanted to view and then just copy the image URL and paste it into DPR, which would then give you the option to embed the image there. Now you can't select the size to view the image or to copy the URL and paste it into DPR. With Ipernity, you can select the different sizes to view and you can copy the URL, but DPR doesn't seem to recognize the code from Ipernity...

Bottom line, the advantages that Flickr had over Ipernity up until yesterday it doesn't have anymore. Both are fine for linking photos to Amin's various forums, but neither, AFAICT, can link directly to DPR any longer.

Bummer all around...

Fortunately I opened an ipernity account and transferred all of my photos over to it while it was still easy to do, a few days ago... So at least I can choose from two highly imperfect options!

Edit - found a way to get the right code for DPR from Flickr - it requires copying just a portion of the code found under the "thumb-tack" link option and pasting it into DPR. I'd guess you can do the same with Ipernity, but the codes are different enough that I haven't tried to work out what you'd need to copy...

-Ray

I just popped into flickr to see what Ray was speaking of......WOW, what a freaking mess. Worse really than any changes they have made is the constant changing. They should have had a very thoughtful remake one time and just stuck with it. All the constant jiggering about just stirs up confusion and frustration (sometimes even if the changes are good, people will be upset).

I just popped into flickr to see what Ray was speaking of......WOW, what a freaking mess. Worse really than any changes they have made is the constant changing. They should have had a very thoughtful remake one time and just stuck with it. All the constant jiggering about just stirs up confusion and frustration (sometimes even if the changes are good, people will be upset).

They've actually had that up for quite a while, but most of us were able to opt out of it until sometime in the past day or so. It's like anything - just a matter of getting used to it. There are parts of it that I prefer to the previous version - some of your options for what you can display automatically are better than with the previous look. The inability to view various sizes is really weird. They're obviously easily available, because when I choose the full size option and then extract the portion of the BBCode I need to link to DPR, you can still show it at 100% there - and that's a live link, not a download. And you can download any size you like. And having to extract a portion of the BBCode is a PIA, but I don't post very many photos to DPR, so it shouldn't really be much of a problem...

Overall, I'm sure I'll get used to it and they'll probably fix a few things along the way... I tend to be pretty adaptable to changes in how I do things as long as I don't actually lose functionality. Hell, I remember the transition from all code-based WordPerfect to the GUI version of Microsoft Word back in the mid-'90s or so. I didn't have any problem with it but the professional word processors in the office I was working in at the time thought they'd been confined to the third ring of hell, as used to Word Perfect as they were. Within a year they'd totally forgotten about it, but there was much screaming and yelling and gnashing of teeth for a while there. I've gotten use to Flickr's front page and actually have come to sort of like it (except when I'm on limited bandwidth, when it's a REAL problem!). I'm sure I will with this individual photo view as well. At least now that I've figured out how to do everything I need to do...

-Ray

when flickr's new layout happened, i was still given the option to go back to the old. today, i wondered why it was on the new layout. i no longer see the option to go back to the old. i don't like the new way of sharing images. at least give back the old embed codes. sad fais...

edit: i may work on my squarespace or smugmug (20% off w/trey ratcliff's code) sooner than later.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

ooh, that's annoying. Flickr have gone live with the "new photo experience". It's all very smart but the Flickr2ipernity plugin doesn't seem to work now, I guess the page design has changed too much.

Relieved to read this. I though it was something I'd done and couldn't figure out how to get rid of it.

Romi, Smugmug is a good place, especially since they had a major overhaul of the site last year. It's where I have my website. But it's a very different beast from Flickr if your looking it as an alternative.

olli, rather than procrastinating designing my own page from scratch (it's been years), i wanted to quickly build something with either squarespace or smugmug to my liking. plus, i like business feature that the smugmug pro account offers. i am leaning a bit more towards smugmug though.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Smugmug will definitely do that for you. There's a lot of flexibility in the new setup. I switched from the old version to the new version almost as soon as it was available and there were a few irritating bugs at first - though surprisingly few given how extensive the makeover was - but most of those have been ironed out now. The big weakness from my point of view is that there is no good way to integrate a blog directly. You have to have a separate blog and link to it. There is a kind of workaround they suggest but it's time consuming. The 'writing' section on my site uses their workaround and its okay for occasional articles but definitely not for regular posting.

i have google's blogr and tumblr for that, so that's fine by me. so far, it's sounding like smugmug is very much liked even after their update.

It's more a case of very much liked (for the most part) after their update. I've been there for longer than I can remember, but the old version was looking dated and having announced a comprehensive overhaul, nothing happened for a very long time, except that they raised their prices. A few people left in frustration around that time and I very nearly did too. It's much better now. Smugmug also has a very good user forum at dgrin.com with lots of ideas and directions for customizations.

Discovered that you can't get BB codes if you're not a paying member which seems a bit cheap. Just means I have to keep posting to Flickr anyway to post anything to SC. I've now signed up on a free account. I'm olli - lower case 'o'. That's important.

So in other words My free ipernity acount is worthless.
I guess thats why I couldnt get an image to post here.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Back