1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Flowers with the X-E1 and XF 55-200mm

Discussion in 'Nature' started by entropic remnants, Oct 1, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I took the X-E1 and the 55-200mm out for a run at Longwood Gardens and got these. I needed some more time with the lens before I use it at a wedding and I did some other shots there to test things but most of them aren't attractive, lol.

Really think this lens is a winner -- and has the reach and close focus I need for this. Very few of these have any cropping for anything but presentation -- the lens gets in close enough for nice flower shots.

I think the bokeh on this lens and camera are great also. This combo feels image-wise a lot like my D7000 and 70-200mm VR II did -- only it is way WAY lighter, lol.

10046774875_7fa63b32ea_b.
    Spiky Red by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10046810436_6aaa9b8ce3_b.
    Pink! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10046774465_9672b471f3_b.
    Water World by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10046773805_b313ee7e24_b.
    Fire in the Sky by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10042160666_dc1dc01115_b.
    Black-and-White Beauties by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10030613135_9c5cdc7356_b.
    Bathing Beauty by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    nice set John. #3 is very foreign and strange and #4 shows beautiful details.

• Like Like x 1
  3. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Thanks, Luke!

Yes, those water lilies and lotus flowers are strange things with all their spikes and what not. They are that way under water as well to discourage fishy foragers. Kind of like "thorny roses of the water" although the flowers are nothing like roses and they can be HUGE. Certainly those pads floating in the water are sometimes many feet across -- I think I've seen them over 5 feet in diameter.

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    In particular, I like being able to see "through" the reflections and see bits of what is below the water....even better if I can be disoriented and confused about what parts are reflections or above water and what is below.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I agree with Luke. #3 has a primordial look, even... I could imagine that ellipse-shaped... thing.... suddenly raise it's head above the water's surface.... some sort of weird aquatic hedgehog.

• Like Like x 1
  6. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Here's a shot from years ago when the water was a little clearer. They dye the water blue-black to fight algae growth. You can imagine quite a monster down there, lol.

6186727911_2c8e05d47a_b.
    The Terror Beneath by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  7. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Beautiful colors, impressive! It feels more spring then fall:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. monk3y

monk3y SC Regular

Aug 12, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    This is actually my favorite lens on the whole Fuji line up... I like it better than the 35mm f/1.4 or 18-55mm f/2.8-4 :smile:

Great shots!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. mnhoj

mnhoj gee aahrr

Jan 27, 2012
    Masterfully done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Beautiful set indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Water world and fire in the sky, both great shots, love the stillness if the water, very tranquil.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Not a big fan of flower shots, but I really like the water world shot a lot.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  13. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Thanks, all!

Ha ha! Thanks, Ray -- I know your feelings about flower shooting in general and I really didn't expect you even to look at these. Thanks for peeking!

14. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Holy hell, those are great. I didn't expect much, flower shots are usually just... shots... to me. But those look fantastic. Really well done, sir.

• Like Like x 1
  15. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    • Like Like x 2
  16. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Are those hand-held?

17. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Of course they were hand-held! It was daylight.

It's funny, but I was talking to somebody at the Gardens and mentioned about people using tripods with stabilized lenses on sunny days -- I saw people with $500 tripods standing in the sun taking photos at wide open at fast shutter times. The employee of the Gardens said, "None of the pros here use a tripod in the daylight". Amen.

I use one for long exposures for HDR in dark buildings for sure. Hard to hand-hold a 20 second exposure, lol.

18. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Ah. I can't click through to Flickr to peep at your exif data, but when I shoot such things it seems like the plant moves, the water moves, I move, etc, and don't always get as crisp a photo as I wish I did -- and I can only imagine a tele lens making it worse. But THOSE are crisp.

19. bysearching

bysearching New to SC

Jan 19, 2012
    North Dakota
    Myra Johnson
    Beautiful photos!

20. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Well, tripods don't help much with plant movement unfortunately, and naturally I don't post the ones that might have blurred, lol. If a plant is swaying in a systematic manner, I try to snap it at one end or the other of it's sway when it's moving at it's slowest.

But part of what you're seeing is that I had a nice day with little wind. The shots in the water garden are in a sheltered courtyard so things are pretty still there.

Mostly I was shooting between wide open (f/4.8 for this at 200mm) to f/9. Most of the shots are around f/8 to f/9 and the only difference is that I bumped the adjustment. I meant to shoot at f/8 mostly to get enough depth of field on the subject. This lens largely makes nice bokeh at virtually all apertures and focal lengths-- obviously less of it though when stopped down.

Shutter speeds were mostly 1/100th and higher, sometimes much higher. Fast enough to freeze slow motions. In some cases the ISO was pushed up to maintain the minimum shutter speed I needed but the cameras don't really show much noise at any practical daylight ISO.

Hope that helps a bit Kyle and thanks again for your comments.