1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Flying Patriot -- The Movie! (it's done finally...)

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by entropic remnants, Jun 29, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Okay it's up. I'm posting it here because I don't understand the "words/no words" bit in the video forum -- and the video uses stills in it as well, lol.

I'm very happy with it even with it's flaws. Between misapplying filtration on the 25mm f/1.4 (I used a crappy vari-ND that dramatically reduced quality) and other "source material limitations" -- combined with my personal foul ups -- it is less than perfect.

I will do some posts on my experience with the GH1 and GX1 for the video and discuss the technical challenges in future posts. The video used the PL 25mm f/1.4 (badly, lol); the 35-100mm (which was always on the GX1) and the 7-14mm f/4. The 7-14mm was used for most of the photography and video.

Everything was shot on manual for the most part: both exposure and focus. With the exception of one scene or two where I tried autofocus and it hunted, there isn't any of that because I didn't use AF.

But I hope it works and here it is. It's about 11 minutes or so long.

[video=youtube;PrsudQsUetI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrsudQsUetI[/video]

Thanks for watching!

2. Gitana

Gitana SC Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    That was awesome to watch! Thank you for sharing :) I think you captured it all really well and I liked the effect of the stills as well.

Irene,
    Have camera will travel & shoot!

3. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Awesome indeed! Very nicely done. The pacing was perfect, keeping the viewer interested throughout. Congratulations!

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Wonderful work, John! REally enjoyed watching and learning :)

5. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Superb John

Good editing very tight

6. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Thanks and I felt it HAD to be tight. After the roller-coaster ride of the intro, I couldn't let it drag too much, lol. It's the best video I've done so far and I learned a great deal in making it.

7. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    I think you're in the wrong job John.
    Brilliant.

8. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    [SIGH] Don't bring me down, Dennis, lol. I'm too old to start over... besides, I'm actually not a bad engineer so maybe I am in the right job! :biggrin:

Thanks for the high compliment though! :dance2:

9. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Version 2 is up

[video=youtube;-INfbBU7nNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INfbBU7nNw[/video]

Numerous fixes of exposure, color grading, and some scene substitution for quality. Now all color -- interviews have been made color.