Ricoh Flying the wind

Iansky

All-Pro
I visited one of the viewpoints in our local area today, when I was there I saw these people with their chutes ready to fly - they had to wait for the wind to be perfect and for the intermittent rain to stop.

I had not planned on stopping here so my only camera was the Ricoh GR, not the perfect camera for these photos but it proved more than capable.

Attachments

• Steer away.jpg
    Steer away.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 286
  • Filling the canopy.jpg
    Filling the canopy.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 317
  • Passing.jpg
    Passing.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 254
  • Take Off.jpg
    Take Off.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Preparation.jpg
    Preparation.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 246
Thank you all for the feedback.

It was an unexpected bonus to come across these fliers, I wish I had also taken the EM1 with a few lenses with me as well but again the GR delivered and showed its versatility - a very under rated and little known camera that sits quietly in the background.

Love the colours , love the subject.
Years ago I had a Ricoh RDC 2300 one of the greatest early digitals ; even then Ricoh had colours other brands couldn't match.

Great stuff Ian. Love the first but like all of them a lot.

I tried that once, with less advanced kites, 25+ years ago. I did very VERY badly at it. Fortunately I was never more than about 10-15 feet above the ground, so the hard landings didn't cause any serious damage, except to my young male ego! I'd rather just shoot 'em going forward!

Nicely done,

-Ray

Thanks Ray,

I spent 12yrs jumping out of planes for a living but would not want to try this! At least I can now enjoy it from ground level and the GR certainly allowed me to get the shots rather than miss them.

Excellent. It is the camera you have with you that gets the shot.

BTW, where is that spot. I think I can see the sea or a river in the distance.

LouisB

Excellent. It is the camera you have with you that gets the shot.

BTW, where is that spot. I think I can see the sea or a river in the distance.

LouisB

Thanks LouisB,

The images were taken at Coaley Peak viewpoint near the Nympsfield gliding club in Glos, in the distance is the river severn estuary - it is a popular club that uses this hill despite a death a number of years ago when a hang glider crashed.

It was pretty windy and very much hit/miss for flying but some did venture out - made for a few good photos.

Back