Sony Focusing issue

LPeeples

Rookie
I'm having a focus issue with my RX1. I added a BW clear filter, no issues. I also bought a BW polarizer. I was trying them with a Xume quick release adapter... and was putting the Polarizer on top of the Clear filter. They are stacked pretty high, the Clear, Xume, and polarizer, although no vignetting seems to occur. However, the camera would not focus. I use the AEL button. If I took the polarizer off, I would have to turn the camera on and off to focus properly. Anyone else have issues stacking two filters?

PS, its not on macro.

Is the polarizer a linear or circular type? If the RX1 uses phase-detect AF on the sensor chip then you need a circular polarizer to ensure you don't interfere with AF.

But I'm no RX1 expert, it's just a thought.

EDIT: Nevermind that. It looks like the RX1 uses contrast detect from what I'm reading.

I thought of something else. Does the Sony move the front element in and out to focus?

If so something may be out of tolerance in terms of diameter and "snagging" on edge of the lens barrel when it tries to focus "long". Usually, close focus requires the lens barrel to extend, and far focus causes it to retract.

The error sounds like a focus system jam because you have to turn the camera off and back on. Most motor based errors on all the cameras I've owned required power off/on to reset such errors -- but again I don't know the Sony.

Back