1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Following his girlfriend around the world…..

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Penfan2010, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 SC Top Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Ed, I'd much rather look at more of your photos. I like the idea, but the execution leaves me cold.

3. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Mate thanks for sharing. Be honest though I'm with Luke, I'd rather see more of the World according to Ed, as these look a bit too overcooked for my liking.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Ugh, on so many levels... Just ugh.

Sent from another Galaxy

5. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I like them.

A second look confirms I didn't look hard enough first time.
    I still like them but I agree they are a little OTT !

6. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    These looked photoshopped and I speak as someone who has taken more photographs of Brick Lane than I have had hot dinners in recent times.

A nice idea as a piece of graphical art but poor execution as photography, imho.

LouisB

7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I don't love it, but it's a unique concept that (according to the article) has generated a lot of interest in Osmann's work. Good on him.

8. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I saw these a few months ago but they look totally different now - I agree pshopped

9. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    One mans concept/vision. Consistent theme/format/graphic presentation. Like them all.

10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I enjoy the images and I imagine they are having a great trip around the world. Like Mark, I find the images are a bit overcooked for my taste. There is this trend with digital work to give them a cartoonish/drawn/painted look that just was not at all common during the film era, although I suppose you could do it with enough darkroom work. To me, this is a great example of the issue being discussed in the "In defense of filters" thread (https://www.photographerslounge.org/showthread.php?t=25465&highlight=film). I try to keep an open mind because I know so much of this is a matter of personal taste and maybe even generational taste.

She's also very attractive (from this angle anyway) and that always adds to my viewing enjoyment.:smile:

11. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    No, thank you. The way these look like, I`d even question whether these shots were made at the claimed locations or rather in a studio with changing backgrounds. The girl seems to be transparent for the sun. Or do you see her shadow somewhere in these pics?

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think if one really looks at them closely, I would say that a handful are actually shot on location.

13. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Quite. I like the idea, but I deplore the execution. To be honest makes my eyeballs itch. In this case the message is all but obliterated by the means of execution.

Sent from another Galaxy

14. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You're among friends, Bill. Tell us how you really feel :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 SC Top Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    Agree with the HDR-look and over processing; I hate that stuff myself, never understood it. That said, the concept, the wardrobe, the scenery are pretty cool for me. Maybe it's my marketing and advertising background, but I would've approved it for a travel ad campaign. And they sure are having fun (there are some "making of" photos on his Hipstagram (shudder!!!) site).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Never one to mince my words ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    Anti-HDRish UNITE! :grouphug:

18. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    He is in league with Beelzebub

19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    They look like studio sets to me, too, but they are so cooked that it's hard to get any sense of what might actually have been there. That question aside, they are too lurid for my taste. If they got him attention that he was looking for, good luck to him.

20. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Neat idea. Processing perfect for Instagram. I would have liked to see how a wider shot with more context and more interesting compositions (on some of them) might have worked.

Still, thx for sharing!