Food for thought

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Lightmancer, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    • Like Like x 3
  2. grillec

grillec SC Veteran

Jan 16, 2014
    I'm glad I don't have to earn my money with photography. To read the blog was amusive. The comments about watermarks and breaking the rules could evoke a smile.
    But the most fundamental mistakes to use aperture and exposure should be cleared before becoming a pro, I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    All due respect Bill, but there was nothing about that article that I want to evenTRY to abide by. It's directed at new pros and even to the extent it could be more universally applied, it would make shooting seem like a job, which is the last thing I want it to feel like. His last bit about loving being a photographer and looking forward to it every day was very nice, for him. But based on everything else he'd written prior, it's about the last thing I'd wan to wake up to every day!

Still, I'm sure some of those tips could be useful to some...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY

Thanks for posting that. Trippy images . . . I have no idea how they were created.

Fortunately, I don't aspire to be a pro. I aspire to be, well, better.

Cheers, Jock
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Ray, you make an excellent point. My photography is a million parsecs away from my day job. I have done, and occasionally still do, paying work but it is entirely on my terms and at my discretion.

I was redundant for a few months about ten years ago and looked long and hard at going pro then, but photography is my counterbalance, my oasis of calm. Doing it for a living would leach that enjoyment from it for me and I don't want that.

Being able to plan a trip then execute it, process the shots afterwards, write about it and talk to the likes of you lot on here are all part of the pleasure for me :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fotobakkerij

fotobakkerij SC Regular

Sep 20, 2014
    Alkmaar, The Netherlands
    Peter Bakker
    The article makes me glad that I don't want to be a pro but instead I will be a newbie forever :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    the main thing i got from it, is ignore the people trying to bring you down..
    See more on Know Your Meme
    • Like Like x 1