Foodies

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Gary, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Hey, listen up. I've been storing these Cedar planks for about six months. I finally remembered I had them and grilled some salmon on the plank. It was absolutely wonderful (period). The next time you BBQ/Grill, I highly recommend using a plank.

Gary

2. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Excelent tip Gary. I used to have a supply of food quality planks, but they no longer carry them. I'm not sure where to get them anymore, maybe online?

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I love the smell of cedar, but am not sure I want my food to taste like it. I'm always a little unsure, but I'll give it a try.

4. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Well worth the additional effort. I used Cedar because that was what for sale in the store. You can use other woods. This time I soaked the plank in water. Next time possibly wine maybe even beer, or water with some flavoring like sage or basil. On the Salmon I toss on top some Rosemary branches and lemon slices. Ultimately, some of the Rosemary smoked up so I had Rosemary/lemon from the top and Cedar oils from the bottom. I threw on a light Salmon rub too. A fresh salad clipped from the garden, a bit of steamed rice and this absolutely wonderful Chardonnay, (Discoveries), and Viola! You guys need to stop on by, to explore my little wine frig.

G

5. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    party at gary's!!!!!!

6. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    LOL ... the weather is perfect and the backyard is lush and simply poppin' with blooms. Some avocados are ripe ... so yeah!!! The Cook is still recuperating from surgery so we need to keep the excitement level down ... but then again, how exciting can a bunch of nerdy shutterbugs be? I still have some limited production beer left over from my last soirée.

Repondre S'il Vous Plait

Gary

7. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    Yessssssssssss.
    And mmmmmmmm avocado!

One alcoholic beverage and I can be exciting. Two and I can snore very loudly! Lol
    Think of the oooooohs n aaaaaaaaaahs when people pull out fancy lenses. Lol

Btw, did anyone read the RSVP line like the VoiceOver from "Bridesmaids?" Just me! Lol

8. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Okay, everybody bring your macros and your surfboards. I think we'll start with homemade Sangria ... and snaps of Hummingbirds and roses.

9. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    The last time I cooked on a grill, everyone wanted me to use a plank. They put it off the side of the ship and then encouraged me to walk it...

10. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    I guess however you use a plank, your goose is cooked ...

11. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    I am nothing but chopped liver...

12. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Some people are in to that.

13. Gubrz