Leica For Chris Weeks - Some recent M9P shots

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Name
Antonio
After reading Chris Weeks' "review" of the Fuji X-Pro 1 and bashing of the M9 and Leica users (https://www.photographerslounge.org/f98/switching-m9-xpro1-interesting-provocative-review-13601/) I figured I would post some of my recent M9P shots as a counterpoint of sorts.

At Piñones, Loíza, Puerto Rico:

8106136568_8a55127df4_b.jpg

El puente by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8106124331_4648150396_b.jpg

Piñones II by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8106136418_eb72c54c4e_b.jpg

Piñones I by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8106934778_e30f35e8df_b.jpg

Leña serás by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8108922404_72bc8cdf0f_b.jpg

La casa verde by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8108915425_5e3e8a27cb_b.jpg

Autorretrato en la casa verde by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8109883256_e295944647_b.jpg

Oráculo del Biagué by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8106928959_2f6d4626d6_b.jpg

JDP by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

At Old San Juan:

8088533135_bf3943db0e_b.jpg

Contemplación by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8088533374_f45cdaa4e5_b.jpg

El entierro by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8088532965_a1707212e6_b.jpg

¡Buen provecho! II by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8088532931_c8efcfdeb2_b.jpg

Conguero by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8088552041_a7619448bb_b.jpg

La tortuga by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

And, a couple of my better half:

8095927537_8683901f01_b.jpg

Zulma by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8096654349_923da28bd8_b.jpg

Zulma by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

Cheers,

Antonio

considering a picture is worth a thousand words, your 15,000 word reply is impressive not only in length, but also in restraint. I would have used a few choice words mixed in, but you're a much classier guy.

It's long been understood that if the only way to give praise is to tear down the opponent, it's either something lacking from that needing the praise or the lack of intellect on the part of he who is heaping the praise. I've seen some magnificent shots from the X-Pro1, so that leaves us with the sad little Mr. Weeks.

Well said, Antonio.

Beautiful work as always Antonio. I don't think Weeks would claim there's anything wrong with an M-9 or any other Leica body and lenses. He obviously used one for a very long time and I doubt he'd claim it was less of a photographic tool. His point, crassly stated as it may have been, is that the M bodies have their own set of limitations that make them a questionable value at their very high prices. I agree, but there are lots of nice things of questionable value that I personally LOVE, so I'd be the last person to criticize anyone for buying a Leica. Maybe he just ran into a number of Leica owners who WERE posers and using them as fashion statements? Which is also fine if that's what floats your boat, but I can see how criticism of "lesser" cameras from that particular sub-strata of Leica owners would get tiresome, if that's what he was (over) reacting to.

None of which matters. You use a Lecia the way it was meant to be used - as a great high-end photographic tool with its own subtle wonderful qualities. Keep making beautiful photographs and don't worry about jerks who judge any photographer by whatEVER camera they may be carrying. In a way his rant is almost identical to those of many on DPR and elsewhere who's personal worth seems to be dictated by knowing that THEIR choice in gear is the only RIGHT choice in gear and uses that as a jumping off point to trash those who would have the poor judgement to use anything else...

It comes down to the work and you do great stuff. He's pretty good too. Great that you each found tools that make you happy in use! He's a dick about it - you're not...

-Ray

Great pictures. I don't recall him complaining about image quality though - quite the opposite, he appears to uniformly love the results of using Leicas. I imagine he might ask what your price-per-photo was, though.

Also these photos play very well into his "users who want to take pictures in Cuba" jab. Just sayin'. :)

When I read that part of the review, I immediately thought about Antonio (and cringed a bit). Obviously, when you live in Puerto Rico, you take photos of Puerto Rico. I think Ray said it best when he said this "He's a dick about it - you're not..." referring to Mr. Weeks and also Antonio's response.

It's really horses for courses. No one "wins" by choosing "the best" camera. And there is no universal "best" camera....that's why forums like this exist. Everyone values different aspects of the different tools.

I never see anyone bashing Ferrari's because they are difficult to keep running. I just never really understand all the hatred towards Leica. They make very nice cameras. They cost a lot of money. They are not for everyone. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Beautiful!!

That image titled JDP for some reason caught me (I don't know what other word to use other than "caught"), and got me staring at it for a few minutes. IMO you don't have to defend your camera choice. We all see what you (and your gear) are capable of delivering.

And Leica wouldn't be where it is without actually turning superb products. Just look at all the Apple haters out there.

Antonio,

I'm intrigued by the story behind this particular photograph, any background details would be appreciated.

Barrie

I assume it is a ceremonial procession of sorts, maybe a death ritual. In the Philippines (where we absorbed a lot of Spanish words into our language, thanks to 300 years under Spain :)), Santo Entierro is done on Good Friday, a funeral procession with an image of the dead Christ. (I know - I think I only hepled a little.)

Great set of photos AJ! How close were you to the subject on the contemplation photo?

Fairly close, as it was shot with a 50mm 1.5 C-Sonnar, as were the rest of the Old San Juan photos posted. This was part of a street performance, so even though the subject of the photo was fully aware that I was photographing him, he could not move or react.

Antonio

Antonio,

I'm intrigued by the story behind this particular photograph, any background details would be appreciated.

Barrie

This was a street performance art piece held at Plaza de Armas in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. There were five or six actors, each of which was standing in front of a cardboard casket placed on a small table in the square. The interior of each casket was lined with photographs depicting several scenes in Puerto Rico showing examples of the detrimental effects of Puerto Rico's poor urban planning. Each of the actors was standing in front of his casket, intently looking at the same. That is what is portrayed in "Contemplación" from the same series. At one point, they all closed their caskets and marched out of the square. That's when this shot ("El entierro") was taken.

Cheers,

Antonio

Also these photos play very well into his "users who want to take pictures in Cuba" jab. Just sayin'. :)

To be frank, I didn't quite get what Mr. Weeks meant by that comment, as I would much rather not interpret it as a racial or ethnic slur. I must confess, though, I would love to do some photographing in Cuba, as I understand it is a very photogenic country.

As to whether my photos play into his comment, all I can say is that these were shot quite literally in my back yard. I really cannot help that.

Cheers,

Antonio

To be frank, I didn't quite get what Mr. Weeks meant by that comment, as I would much rather not interpret it as a racial or ethnic slur. I must confess, though, I would love to do some photographing in Cuba, as I understand it is a very photogenic country.

I'd love to visit Cuba myself too with camera in hand. I've no idea what Weeks meant. Maybe he doesn't either.

Cuba is a popular winter destination for Canadians on the other side of our country but is a little far from here on the rainy west coast.

Back