Leica For Chris Weeks - Some recent M9P shots

To be frank, I didn't quite get what Mr. Weeks meant by that comment, as I would much rather not interpret it as a racial or ethnic slur. I must confess, though, I would love to do some photographing in Cuba, as I understand it is a very photogenic country.

As to whether my photos play into his comment, all I can say is that these were shot quite literally in my back yard. I really cannot help that.

Cheers,

Antonio

Not putting words in Chris Weeks' mouth, but I think it's a reference to the early M9 photos of a Cuban boxer that were widely used by Leica for marketing purposes in its catalogues. I think.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/images/m9/examples-from-leica/M9_PoP_4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KillRamsey View Post
Also these photos play very well into his "users who want to take pictures in Cuba" jab. Just sayin'. :)

To be frank, I didn't quite get what Mr. Weeks meant by that comment, as I would much rather not interpret it as a racial or ethnic slur. I must confess, though, I would love to do some photographing in Cuba, as I understand it is a very photogenic country.

As to whether my photos play into his comment, all I can say is that these were shot quite literally in my back yard. I really cannot help that.

Cheers,

Antonio

I do not know the man, nor know what he was thinking but I did not see that the comment had anything to do with any anti Caribbean bias, I saw it more as a comment on how many photographers and "quasi photojournalists" want to shoot in Cuba before the inevitable changes come to the “50s” look of Havana, the cars, the buildings.
And nothing represents the 50s more than a Leica.

Antonio beautiful images, really stunning, but I do not think he said that Leica’s were not capable of amazing images just not worth the cost difference.
People say that all the time on wine forums but we still spend silly amounts of cash on bottles of grape juice.

Bob said it well, Weeks probably meant wannabe photojournalists trying to emulate images of the past.. or any kind of documentary/travel style made popular by the Leica cameras.

In the end the cameras we use are tools, you use what you need to in order to get the photos you desire. That is true even of snapshooters. If they want a pocket camera with zoom rather than fixed lens, then they get one with zoom. Price comes into play with the desire for more professional results however as you move higher into the realm of professional grade cameras, you do eventually plateau. After that it's more a matter of what camera has the 'other' features you want, what is the lens selection, what camera feels good in your hands, what camera makes you enjoy shooting. If that camera costs twice what the others do and you can afford it.. good for you. But to get the shots, the most expensive gear isn't necessary and I think overall that was what he was trying to convey.

Back