Fotodiox Vizelex Rhinocam

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
I posted this on the FujiXspot, but since the adatpers are made for different systems, and to work with difference medium format lenses, I though I'd ask the same question here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ix_hassyv_p_vizelex_rhinocam_system_with.html

Has anyone tried one of these? I've been interested in trying my Hasselblad CF Zeiss lenses on a digital sensor for some time, but medium format backs are beyond the budget. For $300 to get a stitched 645 file. Apparently with the lens immobile and the camera flush to the device, the camera moves up to four times for four shots to cover the 645 size frame, then the files are stitched in photoshop. It sounds great if it works.

Anyone experimented with one of these. I'm very tempted

It might be useful for architectural close shots where you might get distortion by hand movements. I have been doing it panos by hand for years, so I prefer to have sth smaller camera+lens with me. I have been using free autostitch program along with its pro version autopano pro:
AutoStitch

There is also gigapan machine which you can stitch giga MP images:
GigaPan | High-Resolution Images | Panoramic Photography | GigaPixel Images

This is my quick hand held 42MP equiv 2 vertical image stitch with A7R+Batis 25mm when I was testing the lens:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For a number of years I did mostly 4x5 black and white photography - more details of the world that interested me than landscape or architectural work. It was the kind of photography that most engaged me: when I was't out and about with my monorail and a backpack full of film holders, I was in the darkroom working with various development schemes and graded fiber papers to get what I wanted. (Then I went to work in a custom photo lab. Yes, I was obsessed.) While I still have a 5x7 enlarger, along with appropriate and very good enlarging lenses (50, 80, 150, and 210, all Componon S or Rodagon), I no longer have anyplace to put it. My setup now is limited to an enlarger that will accommodate my Hasselblad 6x6 negs and the use of the two shorter lenses. And frankly, I don't shoot film as much as I'd like to because of the expense. I can no longer spend a couple of hundred dollars a month on film, chemistry, and good paper.

So this might be a way to do a kind of slow, contemplative photography that I always enjoyed - and to get the kind of large area of information that my 4x5 negs gave me. I'll almost certainly get this outfit sooner or later. Stay tuned.

It might be useful for architectural close shots where you might get distortion by hand movements. I have been doing it panos by hand for years, so I prefer to have sth smaller camera+lens with me. I have been using free autostitch program along with its pro version autopano pro:
AutoStitch

There is also gigapan machine which you can stitch giga MP images:
GigaPan | High-Resolution Images | Panoramic Photography | GigaPixel Images

This is my quick hand held 42MP equiv 2 vertical image stitch with A7R+Batis 25mm when I was testing the lens:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Nice shot!
What interests me about the Fotodiox outfit is that the lens stays put, meaning slight errors in perspective and in curvature of field won't need correcting, and that should yield sharper results. The other thing that draws me in is the near large format like experience. And finally, I've wanted a medium format back for my 3 V series Hasselblad Zeiss lenses. I love that glass more than I can say, but medium format backs are too costly, and an old but affordable tethered back that kept me in the house just doesn't interest me. I have a reasonably nice and but fairly inexpensive studio strobe set-up for the occasions I need it, but studio work is always an obligation, almost never an enthusiastic choice: Too many years shooting large format copy chromes of art, where being off one point of color can cause hysterics as only artists can have. (I understand perfectly, which is why I don't let other people print my pictures.)

I'm blathering. Too much time on my hands today.

Back