Sony FREE 2 YEAR accidental damage policy from SONY on RX100

That is a pretty cool deal... especially with a small camera like the RX100, where there may be more of a chance of it seeing some rough duty, like my phone.

My issue is I bought my cam from Amazon. I'd have to order one from Sony, pay the $40 tax, and then pay $20 shipping return to Amazon. Trying to decide if it's worth the time/aggravation for me.

My issue is I bought my cam from Amazon. I'd have to order one from Sony, pay the $40 tax, and then pay $20 shipping return to Amazon. Trying to decide if it's worth the time/aggravation for me.

You could look into a getting a SquareTrade warranty or something like that- might possibly cost less, or at least save you the trouble of the return.

Did you buy it with an Amex? They double the manufacturers warranty. Amex is truly no hassle. Some other cards do the same.

Check with your insurance company for a homeowners insurance rider. My RX100 is full covered for loss, theft or damage for $6.00 PER YEAR!
My wife has broken three of our last four compacts over the past 8 years. They were never insured. Sometimes that was OK because they were inexpensive and it was time for an upgrade anyway. But because of the cost of the RX100 and the cost of the extended warranties, I called my insurance company. We already had a jewelry rider and we added an individual item rider with the RX100 and serial number identified. It provides lost, stollen or damage coverage and adds an amazingly low $6.00 per year. I couldn't believe it. I called back to make sure the quote was right. My insurance company is USAA and they are a bit extraordinary. I hope your offers something similar if you go this route. If you live at home, maybe you could get a rider on your parents policy.

You are referring to what's generally known as a Personal Articles Policy. It's also known as a marine rider for some reason. Most insurance companies have it. The general cost is $1 per $100 of coverage per year. Many companies will have a minimum, say a minimum of $5000 of coverage per year for $50. I have one and cover the things I carry around with me. My cameras, laptops, phones, etc, etc. Many companies will no longer cover phones though. I'm grandfathered in. It's really cheap price to pay for the coverage. Unfortunately, it only covers lost, it is not an extended warranty. So if the camera simply malfunctions, that's not covered.

Back