French Huguenot Church - Leica MM/Noctilux

Great lighting indeed, and very nicely captured. Is there still an active Huguenot community there? Many of them came to Holland, but apart from a couple of family names with French origins, there's nothing to set their descendents (including my family from father's side) apart here.

Great lighting indeed, and very nicely captured. Is there still an active Huguenot community there? Many of them came to Holland, but apart from a couple of family names with French origins, there's nothing to set their descendents (including my family from father's side) apart here.

I never got a sense of that, although touring the church a couple years ago I got some literature, read the list of pastors over the years, and bought a CD of recordings made on the church organ. I think for these old historic churches it's a real struggle keeping up the funding, to keep everything in good condition.

Have you been to Canterbury, Kent? The Huguenots sought refuge there, many becoming weavers, and to this day there's a weekly service held in French at the Cathedral, and a chapel dedicated to French protestants, in the crypt, I think. I don't, however, know how many of their descendents are still in Kent. Ah, my old friend Google! Yes, for the chapel: "The present day French Protestant Chapel is located in the Black Prince's Chantry in a small area of the Western Crypt. " from https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Canterbury,_Kent_Places_of_Worship

Oh, that's nice enlarged! Beautiful carvings on the... spires? And palm trees! I can't get used to palm trees in Western Europe! (or is this a French Huguenot church outside of France?)

Charleston SC USA, Southeast coast. The early days of settlement here in the 1600's saw a lot of these unique designs, although much damage and destruction occurred in wars, fires, and a 7.5 quake in the late 1800's. The current threat to historic buildings is mostly negect due to funding issues.

Back