1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

COMPLETED FS: 1951 Jupiter-3 in Leica Thread Mount, German Glass.

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by Brian, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jul 7, 2010
    For sale is a 1951 KMZ 5cm F1.5 Jupiter-3, freshly Cleaned and Lubed, and custom shimmed for use on a Leica. The early KMZ Jupiter-3’s used German parts, this one has an alloy optics fixture like those used in the wartime Sonnars. See the close-up of the filter threads. The glass is German, the original uncoated rear triplet was fogged on this one. I replaced it with a rear triplet from a pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar. Now, the Glass is near perfect. The rear triplet is uncoated, and is an exact match of the original used in the lens. I disassembled this lens, flood-cleaned the aperture blades, lubed the helical, and shimmed it for close-up and wide-open for the Leica. The aperture blades look good, focus is smooth. Example pictures are with my M9. This lens is optimized for close-up and wide-open on the Leica. Distance shots at F1.5 are good out to about 100ft, stop down to f2 for infinity: Sonnar focus shift works in your favor. Includes plastic front and rear caps.

Robert Chisholm posted an article on two Jupiter lenses that I worked on here:

JUPI-WHAT? Shooting Jupiter Lenses on the Leica M9 by Robert Chisholm | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Price: $340 shipped within the United States Priority Mail, $365 anywhere else via International Priority Mail. Paypal, Personal Check, Money Order. I reserve the right to hold shipment until check/MO clears. Return policy: returns must be made within 10 days, refund for the price of the item will be given after receipt. Postage cost is not refundable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glass has bubbles, common in lenses of this era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close-up at F1.5:

[​IMG]

100% crop

[​IMG]

F1.5:

[​IMG]

100% crop:

[​IMG]

Distance at F1.5:

[​IMG]

F1.5

[​IMG]

F4

[​IMG]

2. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jul 7, 2010
    JUST FOR A COMPARISON!

I also took some pictures with my 1938 Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar "T" 5cm F1.5 while testing the Jupiter. This is my best Sonnar.

At F1.5:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100% crop:

[​IMG]

Note the actual focus is slightly behind the J-3 shot. We are way past acceptable DOF at this 100% pixel-peep.

I have 3 original Zeiss 5cm F1.5 Sonnars in Leica mount, 4 pre-war F1.5 Sonnars that I converted to Leica mount, and a ZK Sonnar in LTM.

This Jupiter-3 is within a hair of the best of the Sonnars for sharpness, and gives a slightly warmer cast to the colors.

3. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jul 7, 2010
    Lens is sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.