1. All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Serious Compacts and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.seriouscompacts.com/help/terms

COMPLETED FS: 1952 Jupiter-8 in Leica Mount, new front element, EX condition.

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by Brian, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jul 7, 2010
    Offered here first. I made this lens out of Four J-8's. It is one of the best J-8's that you will run into. Focus is particularly smooth on this one. I used a 3M sheet designed for polishing glass on the aluminum mount to get it that way.

For sale is a 1952 KMZ 5cm F2 Jupiter-8 with new front-element and mounted in a much later chrome Leica Thread Mount focus module, EX condition. Glass is near perfect- inner groups are original and look like German glass, as used in my KMZ J-3’s of this period. I disassembled this lens, flood-cleaned the aperture blades, lubed the helical, and custom shimmed it for the Leica. The aperture blades look good, focus is very smooth. I replaced the original front element which was scratched with one from a 1957 lens. I tried out two different front elements to get the lens to be as sharp as it is now. It is one of the best J-8’s that I have used. This lens is optimized for wide-open and close-up use on the Leica. I the example shots are with my M9. It focuses properly to infinity even at F2.

Robert Chisholm posted an article on two Jupiter lenses that I worked on here:

JUPI-WHAT? Shooting Jupiter Lenses on the Leica M9 by Robert Chisholm | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Price: $140 shipped within the United States Priority Mail, $150 anywhere via first class international, $160 anywhere else via International Priority Mail. Paypal, Personal Check, Money Order. I reserve the right to hold shipment until check/MO clears. Return policy: returns must be made within 10 days, refund for the price of the item will be given after receipt. Postage cost is not refundable. If you need an IR/UV filter, I will sell the B&W 40.5mm filter for an additional $35. Filter only offered with the lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At F2 on the M9:

[​IMG]

100% crop

[​IMG]

F2:

[​IMG]

100% crop. I nailed the shim on this lens.

[​IMG]

Distance at F2:

[​IMG]

100% crop:

[​IMG]

Infinity at F4:

[​IMG]

100% crop

[​IMG]

F2: Fence Slat test.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. defektive

defektive SC Veteran

0   0   0

May 4, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Sam
    Brian,
    I'm seriously considering this lens to compliment the Summarit I bought recently. Are they too similar or would the J-8 perform better when sharpness is required?

Cheers,

3. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jul 7, 2010
    Totally different optical formula- the Jupiter-8 is a Sonnar formula lens, and this one matches my perfect Nikkor-H 5cm f2. At F2, this lens is sharper than my Summarit. At F4- both are sharp. This lens is very compact compared to the Summarit, about 1/2 size and much lighter.

4. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

0   0   0

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Brian, I tip my hat to you. If I were in the market for such a thing that example is a joy to behold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Jul 7, 2010
    Thankyou Bill! This one came out quite good.

The J-8 is sold pending payment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. defektive

defektive SC Veteran

0   0   0

May 4, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Sam
    Thanks Brian, just as well the temptation has been removed. I'm sure the new owner will be very satisfied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.