Fuji Fuji 14mm F2.8

I need to figure out if this is gonna be a from the hip street lens for me or more as an ultra-wide scenery and architecture lens. I'm just not sure if its gonna be too wide for the former and not ultra wide enough for the latter. But I'm gonna give it a go for a while and see where it fits in my shooting.

-Ray

After a few days of shooting with it, this lens is going back. I have absolutely zero complaint with it - its optically and operationally wonderful. But I just don't see how I'd end up fitting this focal length into my shooting enough to want to keep it. I'm a wide angle guy and my typical walk around lens is in the 24-35mm range, with 28 really sort of my sweet spot. And I have an Oly 9-18 for when I want to go really ultra-wide. This lens just doesn't add much to the 24mm equivalent options I've already got (Olympus 12mm and LX7 24mm setting) and it doesn't come close to giving that ultra-wide look or feel that I get from the wide end of the 9-18. Its wider than I'd use for street shooting (although the lens is well set-up for that) or just general walk-around shooting, but when I want really wiiiiiddddeeee, I'd still want to pull out the 9-18 and have even toyed with the idea of getting the 7-14 for its ability to go wider. This is also a big lens, perceptively larger and heavier than the 35 mm, which is not small to begin with... And it doesn't work well with the OVF, which matters to me a lot with this camera - for others probably a non-issue. So, back it goes. It was definitely worth a try for someone who likes wide angle as much as I do, but its just sort of an in-between focal length that I don't see myself using very much...

-Ray

After a few days of shooting with it, this lens is going back. I have absolutely zero complaint with it - its optically and operationally wonderful. But I just don't see how I'd end up fitting this focal length into my shooting enough to want to keep it. I'm a wide angle guy and my typical walk around lens is in the 24-35mm range, with 28 really sort of my sweet spot. And I have an Oly 9-18 for when I want to go really ultra-wide. This lens just doesn't add much to the 24mm equivalent options I've already got (Olympus 12mm and LX7 24mm setting) and it doesn't come close to giving that ultra-wide look or feel that I get from the wide end of the 9-18. Its wider than I'd use for street shooting (although the lens is well set-up for that) or just general walk-around shooting, but when I want really wiiiiiddddeeee, I'd still want to pull out the 9-18 and have even toyed with the idea of getting the 7-14 for its ability to go wider. This is also a big lens, perceptively larger and heavier than the 35 mm, which is not small to begin with... And it doesn't work well with the OVF, which matters to me a lot with this camera - for others probably a non-issue. So, back it goes. It was definitely worth a try for someone who likes wide angle as much as I do, but its just sort of an in-between focal length that I don't see myself using very much...

-Ray

Well it always pays to try! I'll admit I am confused why it doesn't work for you, but as long as you know, it's all good. I'm happy that we are able to try things and if it doesn't work out, send them back.

One thing: what is it about the 14 and OVF that doesn't work well for you? I read one post that puts the OVF coverage at about 99%, which seems pretty good. Here:

Live update from CES 2013: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Connect

One thing: what is it about the 14 and OVF that doesn't work well for you? I read one post that puts the OVF coverage at about 99%, which seems pretty good.

I don't think it's 99%. When I switch back and forth between the OVF and EVF, it's a very different view - notably more coverage in the EVF. Part of that may be related to the other issue, which is the size or the lens, which when combined with wide view, results in the lens blocking quite a lot of the view through the OVF. I'm not generally sensitive to this - it never bugged me with the X100 or the X10, even with hoods. But this blocks a fair amount of it, even without the hood.

In any case, the main thing is just the focal length. I just felt like it doesn't add much to what I've got or when I would choose to use it. it's kind of like the 45mm Olympus m43 lens - it's a great lens, but now that I have the 75mm, I don't think there are many situations where I'm likely to grab the 45. Which ill probably sell sooner than later.

-Ray

Just sold my 9-18 because I rarely used it, and preferred shooting with the 7-1, so it is staying with my new limited M4/3 arsenal, but it is pretty chunky.

Mine arrives Thursday. Unfortunately they shipped the multi coat clear filter seperately. I'll have to be really careful until it arrives because my dogs have licked and/or nose bumped more than one camera lens......... I have been using an old Nikon 20mm F3.5 for a long time so I love the focal length.

Just sold my 9-18 because I rarely used it, and preferred shooting with the 7-1, so it is staying with my new limited M4/3 arsenal, but it is pretty chunky.
I don't use the 9-18 that much either, but when I do, it's wide enough to really get the job done. The Fuji 14 just seems somehow stuck in a no-man's land between either of my 24mm options (which I use a lot) and the ultra-wide (which I don't, but really appreciate when I do). I've never actually felt the 9-18 wasn't wide enough, so I've never really gotten too close to trying the 7-14. But I suspect if I ever do check it out, I'd probably really like it a lot. But it's far from a pressing concern.

-Ray

Barely had a chance to play with it , but so far I like it a lot, it is smaller than I expected , but not small enough to not block about a third of the bottom right corner of the ovf. Honestly this does not bother me too much, for most of my images the lens is a good focal length to shoot a little loose and crop tighter when I get home or one can just switch to the evf for those times where one needs to be precise. I have job in NY this weekend may take it to give the lens a good test run.

Back