Fuji Fuji 14mm Info

On the 14mm, the mechanism to switch it to manual focus is a bit left-field I reckon.

The M focusing mode on the camera body has always been the way to switch - why specifically have they employed this new method on this particular lens ?

The manual focus "clutch" mechanism is similar to the one on the Olympus 12mm and new 17mm. The advantage is that it introduces hard stops at each end of the focus scale and makes the lens feel like a true manual focus lens instead if a focus by wire lens (although it technically still is). It also allows the lens to have useful distance and DOF scales on the barrell of the lens, which makes it easy to set up for zone focus and hyperfocal shooting. This last poin is less critical on the X-series cams than on m43 cams because Fuji already has very useable electronic distance scales in the various viewing options (even the OVF). But the Olympus 12mm is already a pleasure to work with for this clutch mechanism and I'm sure the new Fuji and new Olympus will be too.

One thing I wish the Fuji Guys had shown was the view through the X-Pro's OVF with the 14 - I'd really like to see where the framelines line up.

-Ray

Ray said:
The manual focus "clutch" mechanism is similar to the one on the Olympus 12mm and new 17mm. The advantage is that it introduces hard stops at each end of the focus scale and makes the lens feel like a true manual focus lens instead if a focus by wire lens (although it technically still is). It also allows the lens to have useful distance and DOF scales on the barrell of the lens, which makes it easy to set up for zone focus and hyperfocal shooting. This last poin is less critical on the X-series cams than on m43 cams because Fuji already has very useable electronic distance scales in the various viewing options (even the OVF). But the Olympus 12mm is already a pleasure to work with for this clutch mechanism and I'm sure the new Fuji and new Olympus will be too.

One thing I wish the Fuji Guys had shown was the view through the X-Pro's OVF with the 14 - I'd really like to see where the framelines line up.

-Ray

Very interesting..any idea if its just that lens that will get the clutch? I wonder if it can be implemented on the unreleased zoom lenses too..

900 Euros!?!? Yikes!

I didn't get the 18/2, because I was waiting on the 14/2.8. Maybe the 14/2.8 will have a motorized AF built into the lens for faster AF.

Back