1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji 18-55mm just arrived, first shot

Discussion in 'Fuji X Forum' started by Wolf, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    And it had to be a winter shot :)

I think i'm gonna love this lens, it feels great and the build quality is awesome
    just miss the 35mm apature ring indications :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    By all accounts it is a very effective lens. I probably won't get it, simply because I don't need it.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    I wanted to have at least one walk around lens for my cameras...
    the 12-35 for omd comes at around 950 euro
    the xe-1 with kit lens is 1250 euro, and optically they are about equal ...
    (the fuji just isn't weather resistant)

4. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Makes sense.
    I'm happy that Fuji is maintaining a high standard in lenses.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I want this camera. I want this lens.

I love the way the owl is looking -- a bit skeptically in my view -- at the snow. I have the same reaction to the stuff.
    Very nice capture.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think they may have made the zoom lens too good. It kinda makes the 60mm and 18mm primes redundant (YMMV)

7. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    I wanted to go for another short snow walk today, but the package arrived too late so maybe tomorrow some more shots
    This was taken in my backyard ;)

and even the 35mm if you don't need much bokeh or low light

I am still curious after the 23mm and 56mm and the pancake
    But it will all depend on the price too

the 14mm's price is a bit too high for example for what i'd use it, despite it being a great lens from what I read

8. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Luke the provacateur. :biggrin:

It will likely be fine for many. Wouldn't work for me though. Indeed YMMV, probably by a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I just got an email, as a registered X Pro1 owner I get a £50 voucher off the 14mm lens. I already have the 18 though :( Wish it could be used for a different lens)

10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I'm a prime only Fuji X guy. And an almost OVF only Fuji X guy. So I won't get the zoom - I've got enough m43 zooms, although none of them premium with the possible exception of the 9-18, which is as good as I'd ever want. I'm probably gonna check out the 14mm. If I like it, I'll keep it and the 18 and probably sell the 35mm for the 23mm f1.4 when it shows up. If I DON'T find myself enjoying the 21mm focal length of the 14 (its seems kind of no man's land between wide and ultra wide - I don't find myself stopping there very often on the 9-18), I'll return it and then I might sell the X-Pro altogether and get the X100s and the 28mm adapter. I love the X-Pro, but my lens wants for this platform are extremely limited and the X100s with the 28mm adapter might cover it. And I like the simplicity and the feel of the X100 a lot, and the OVF was a good deal brighter than the X-Pro (because there's a whole lot less going on in there). So, I'll have to see. But I'm quite sure I won't get the zoom, as nice as it appears to be.

-Ray

11. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    In general I prefer primes too, but from time to time it's nice to have a "zoom" walkaround lens too

12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    On paper Fuji seems to have got the specs and price of this lens just right. Performance seems good from all that I seen so far as well.

13. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Good, innit?:D

Sent from another Galaxy

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It wasn't really meant to provoke. I think it's maybe just me. I've always preferred a great prime. But when I look at what I do with my output, maybe I don't need the last ounce of sharpness. And not constantly changing lenses has it's appeal for me as well.

It's just that the drop off in quality (and aperture!) between a typical kit zoom and a high quality prime is usually much greater than with the Fujis (at least from what I've seen). But to be fair, I haven't been pixel peeping......merely enjoying photos at standard size on a lousy computer monitor.

15. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    I sometimes feel like you too Luke

Then again, primes have a better aparture, are better in low light and make me a better photographer (more creative)...
    Zooms often make on "lazy" ;)

But this zoom is really great, it's far better then any nikon or Canon zoom in the same range and price range imo ...

16. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Totally, I get it. No question this is a prime ( :rolleyes: ) zoom.

Ray's musings make sense too, for his particular needs.

17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    And in case I wasn't totally clear, that's ALL I was talking about. I wasn't dissing zooms in general or this zoom in particular, which looks really good. Just that for my purposes and the way I see my two camera systems evolving, it doesn't make sense for me. But I haven't seen anything but positives from it or about it - pretty fast too...

-Ray

18. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Interestingly (or maybe not :p) I find myself using it at either extreme, effectively replacing two primes.

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  19. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Primes vs zooms mostly comes down to a matter of utility of a range of focal length and the utility of a greater aperture range. Both have their advantages, but I would contend that a fast(ish) standard zoom lens is probably the most useful lens you can attach to a camera, mostly on the basis that when travelling it would be the last lens that I would consider leaving behind.

20. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Most of my photography is "travel", either long or short trips, pleasure or business. The 18-55 teamed with the 35 gives a light, compact two lens kit offering focal-length versatility and a fast aperture. I have had similar setups in the past, but it is fair to say that most of my favourite/best photos were shot at 50mm or equivalent.

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1