Fuji Fuji New Rangefinder form!

Nope, not Herman - that's our happy Ghosthunter, Andy at the rescue.:D

As for the photos, a good photo pal of mine brought up an interesting point to me last night - in that camera companies often show rather uninspired photos as samples so that their potential buyers will say to themselves "Heck, I could do much better than that!"...and know that if these were just someone's pretty much pointing and shooting well, then said buyer will continue to muse within "Just imagine with a little finesse and some know how, just think what I could do...:cloud-9-039:"

Time will tell. I hope the camera is a good one and that the RAW image files we finally see will offer the same seductive that the X1 brought to bear upon me but give me the extra controls that I and others think that we really do want.

I have my fingers crossed for you BB.

Manufacturers can not put out edited or processed images from new cameras or people won't trust them. I think the std images that are posted are very very good and as you say with a little know how it should be a great camera.

Thanks pdh, I've been wanting to do that. Herman, I hope you don't mind but I think that it is best if we keep all the X100 talk in one place until the camera actually ends up belonging to someone here and/or we get a real life review from a viable source once the camera is out on the market.

Now back to our regularly scheduled combination of love, ambivalence, dislike and lust.;)

I must admit the more times goes on, and the more I shoot with my Samsung EX1 the less excited I become with this camera. There are just too many options in the compact space for far less money than this camera. The Sigma DP line offers an APS-C sized sensor and nice fixed lens for far less. The m4/3 cameras offer far more flexability at far less cost. And the many sub $500 compacts from Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, etc are also compelling.

The only novelty of course is the hybrid viewfinder yet, I wonder just how important that really is once the novelty of that wears off.

It also looks cool, but I would rather my cameras look plain jane vanilla so I am not mugged on the street

You're certainly not alone in the Not Excited Camp, Wally.;)

Time will tell if this camera offers what many of us are hoping for and if each, as individuals, will decide it does offer the combination of things they've been hoping for. I know a couple of Sigma devotees who are very interested in the Fuji, but only reality will bring us each our answers. I'm still in the very interested section but biding my time.

Disclaimer: don't bother to read this unless you are on a need to know basis.:friends:

But for the rest of us, few or many, who are still glad for every little bit of real information, I came upon this blog @ Thoughts From My Camera thanks to the very handy catch all site Fujifilm Finepix X100 News & Rumors as I scanned the updates from February 8th. I haven't had time to read all of Brandon Remier's blog posts yet, but I think they look interesting. This latest post starts out with a video about the X100's camera level feature. Read on if you're interested.:flowers_2:

BB, The only way you are going to know for sure if this camera is the one for you is by buying one and using it for a few weeks to see how you get on together. SO get that credit card ready or get the cash out from under your mattress and when released go get yourself one :2thumbs: I'll be waiting for a full report eating my pop corn! :popcorm2:

No doubt I will eventually, Andy and when I do I promise to report back. In the meantime, I must live vicariously and report the sounds of the Fuji drums along the Mohawk and another place. :dance:

Sometimes the dream is more important than the goal. When I was younger I saw a secret decoder ring on a back of a cereal box. It looked so cool and I dreamt about it constantly. I save up box tops for the next three months and when I had enough I slipped them into an envelope with a quarter and waited, not to patiently, for the ring. When it arrived it was a big plastic let down but it did have a Captain Ranger Whistle on it so all was not lost.

Now I am older and the decoder ring has been replace by the GF-2, Fuji X100, the yet unnamed Nixon and even the Titanium Leica ...ah dreams I live for them. While I have all the box tops and the quart I will try to resist, until need replaces want. Any bets on how successful I will be?

Wonderful, Grant! I didn't have a decoder ring, but my sister and I did save up cereal boxtops for our special Yogi Bear and Deputy Dog spoons. I think they were silver plated.:cloud-9-039:

I wonder if the iPhone is available with boxtops now?

While I site there with a smile at all the tripping down memory lane the grim thought goes through my mind have you ever really tried to go back? When my son was in his mid teens we both had yearly passes to a local arts movie house. Together, we spent many times seem some of the greatest and worst movies ever made. One night they announced they were going to have a William Boyd festival, remember him? Yup, Hop-Along Cassidy, my childhood hero! I even had a with hat and two silver handled six guns, toys of course. Well, I primed Chris at breakfast, lunch and supper time with countless stories of "Hoppy" until the fateful day. From the opening titles to the closing credits my memoirs were dashed. As a kid they were wonderful as and adult they left a lot to be desired. To this day whenever my son wants to jab me he sings the theme song to Hop-Along Cassidy. Often it is best not to look back but to dream of X100s!

Yes, I have had some similar experiences but there's something about the way you tell it, Grant... I find myself both laughing and feeling a tear or two well up, at the same time. Poor old Hoppy.

Got to hold on to my dreams... I can see it now, we'll be strolling along the waterfront of Lunenburg, Hannah will be with us - perhaps our spouses - and you'll have your trusty GF1 and I'll have my Mt. Fuji...then we'll go for a nice cold drink somewhere.:D

While I site there with a smile at all the tripping down memory lane the grim thought goes through my mind have you ever really tried to go back? When my son was in his mid teens we both had yearly passes to a local arts movie house. Together, we spent many times seem some of the greatest and worst movies ever made. One night they announced they were going to have a William Boyd festival, remember him? Yup, Hop-Along Cassidy, my childhood hero! I even had a with hat and two silver handled six guns, toys of course. Well, I primed Chris at breakfast, lunch and supper time with countless stories of "Hoppy" until the fateful day. From the opening titles to the closing credits my memoirs were dashed. As a kid they were wonderful as and adult they left a lot to be desired. To this day whenever my son wants to jab me he sings the theme song to Hop-Along Cassidy. Often it is best not to look back but to dream of X100s!

My first car was a 68 VW Bug with a sun-roof that I have it on very good authority that at least 3 college students can hang out of while you're driving. Bought it for $600 in '78 and probably put five times that much into keeping running for the next couple of years. It was the best car ever. Lots of fine memories of that car. A few years ago we were in Mexico on vacation. We wanted to rent a car for a day. They still make the old style VW's in Mexico and we thought it might be fun to rent one. That car looked really good in the rear view mirror, but driving one again, after 25+ years was a rude awakening. By today's standards, those cars are pure garbage. Terrible little vehicles. Hitler shoulda kept 'em in Germany.

The Fuji could be cool, but only if its good by today's standards - the nostalgic touches are mostly just that...

-Ray

Back