Fuji Fuji update now available__link provided

So for all you X100 owners, how do you rate this update on a scale of 1-10? Is the usability greatly improved? Did this address some/all/none of your biggest complaints?

Keven, Landshark's previous post reminded me of your question yesterday... We were all in the midst of figuring things out, and may still be.;)

For me, with what I have experienced thus far in one day with natural light and not much of it, I am very pleased. I guess if I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10 re the update, it would be about a 8. Fuji should really deal give people another function button to do with what they like - whether it's to reach and really change the Auto ISO or whatever. Does this truly effect me? No, it doesn't.

I find that the camera seems to work much faster and frankly I'm looking forward to becoming more "at one" with it as time goes on. The results are in my hands. I've been seeing more and more fantastic photographs taken by other people with this camera and now the ball is in my court. I hope to rise to the occasion to create the kinds of pictures I am after.

LOL! I haven't slept yet. Just turned 6 a.m. here. I should probably get some ZZZ's. I just did the update. Unfortunately, I'm not impressed with it. I'm more confused with the adjusted focus patch for the OVF now. And the descriptions of the updates are so poorly written starting with "the following functions can be rocked"! :)

Maybe I'm just being a grouch for lack of sleep right now. But then, I'm probably just a grouch in general!

"I'm more confused with the adjusted focus patch for the OVF now." Armando, that's still confusing to me too and one of the big resaons I bought the X100 is the OVF. I'd give the update an "8" on the "BB" scale. It's easy to dance to, but the beat is a little off. Holding the focus point size and the ability to adjust f-stops between full stops are both very important updates to me. Still, I remain very pleased with the X100 overall.
. . . David

I understand the adjusted focus patch. I find that with MF it is not an issue. With AF and the smallest AF box, I'm not using that adjusted feature.
It simplifies a complicated simple procedure.

All in all, the camera got better. My biggest point of content is the wheel lock. Man, that's a great feature.

EVF vs. OVF

Hi Streetshooter
I'm new to the forum and have been reading through your thoughtful posts. In your last post you suggest focusing with the smallest target area and not concerning yourself with the "corrected AF frame". It sounds like you are using the EVF. I find the EVF not responsive enough to catch gestures and facial expressions when photographing people and so have been using MF with the AF/AE button and the optical finder. This system is very responsive, but can be unnerving because of the lack of feedback on finding focus and the parallax issues on the focusing frame. That said, I find myself leaning toward AFS because of the green corrected AF frame which both confirms focus and corrects parallax. I really wish all of these good things (green resized and corrected frame) were happening in MF. Am I missing something or must I compromise? shk

shk,
Your not missing anything. I use MF with the OVF 90% of the time.
If I'm in close or need 100% accuracy, I'll use the EVF.
With the smallest AF target, it's very fast and very accurate. Of course that's in AF mode. It's nice to have both but the camera is better with MF. It just works the way you need it to.

Ok, I've had four hours of sleep, and looked at some nurse pics! ;)

So how does the adjusted focus patch work with that extra AF focus patch the lower right of the centered one? The closer I am to the target subject, I should focus closer and closer to the adjusted focus patch? Thanks for the help anyone.

I am still groggy ...

Trying to figure out how using MF mode makes camera come to life. Seems like only difference is that auto focus is triggered with the ael/afl button instead of shutter half press.

The AF speed seems the same, although close up AF without going into macro is very nice!

The DOF scale a available in AFS mode too.

Is there a way to set the X100 to give exposure/shutter speed preview without having to half press the shutter? I'd like to be able to see the shutter speed as I am changing the ISO.

Thanks for all the insight Don!

Armando, 1/2 press should do it right... I think other than looking at the dials, that's it....
if you figure this out...please post...
Your camera maybe has a cold or something. Mine focuses faster in every mode. Maybe you should use it and get it heated up and then check the focus speed.....

The wheel lock is great, for me I love it when I can lock control buttons, less mistakes that way
I understand the adjusted focus patch. I find that with MF it is not an issue. With AF and the smallest AF box, I'm not using that adjusted feature.
It simplifies a complicated simple procedure.

All in all, the camera got better. My biggest point of content is the wheel lock. Man, that's a great feature.

Ok, I've had four hours of sleep, and looked at some nurse pics! ;)

So how does the adjusted focus patch work with that extra AF focus patch the lower right of the centered one? The closer I am to the target subject, I should focus closer and closer to the adjusted focus patch? Thanks for the help anyone.

I am still groggy ...
I've had the update for about 10 minutes now. To me, the really functionally nice thing that will improve the camera's operations is the ability to reprogram the fn button without going back into the menu. This is not quite as good as another programmable button would be, but its good enough. I can switch between film types (I go between astia and velvia from time to time) and the ND filter on the fn button MUCH more quickly and easily now, which means I'm apt to DO it much more often and use both features when I want 'em rather than only when I absolutely need them. I won't use it for iso until they fix the damn auto iso thing and put it on the iso menu (btw, Andy Westlake had a pretty good explanation of why that would be a really difficult fix for Fuji over at dpreview, even though he'd like to see it also), so I'll just keep trucking along with auto ISO which has caused me zero problems to date - it's handled everything I've thrown at it. I WANT the flexibility to pick my own ISO from time to time without diving into the menu, but I don't NEED it. The other fixes/improvements don't really affect me much one way or the other unless the AF really is faster, but I was fine with the AF speed before.

Armando, the little trick it does with the two focus boxes in the OVF is really just a learning tool to understand how parallax impacts where focus actually happens. Yes, the upper left one is for distance and the lower right box is for close up, and near/middle distance shots (4-6 foot range) is gonna be somewhere in between. And when you half press and it figures out the distance of what you're trying to focus on, it superimposes the green box on the ACTUAL focus area for that shot. So, move toward a subject from a distance of about 20 feet all the way down to about 2 feet and give it a half press every few feet and you can see where the ACTUAL focus box is relative to the two extreme hypotheticals and you'll get a really good feel for how the parallax between the viewfinder and the lens actually affects what you're gonna have in focus. At 20 feet, the actual box is gonna line up perfectly with the upper left box, at 10 feet its still pretty much the same, at 6 you'll start seeing it move notably to the lower right, by 3-4 it will be about halfway between the two, and in at around two feet, the ACTUAL box will line up almost exactly with the lower right box. Then you can leave it on if you want confirmation on the actual focus location for each shot or you can turn it off to avoid the distraction once you're comfortable enough with the concept and how it affects the actual focus area.

I agree with Don on almost everything about how we use this camera, but having tried the MF-AEL button thing and the AF-half press thing both pretty extensively, I keep coming back to the half press. It seems to avoid the aperture lag thing that can happen in bright light and I find it more than fast enough. And for street shooting, which is about the only thing I do with this camera where speed matters, I find the half press an integral part of the anticipation as the shot comes together. And I really like that the AF box in the OVF turns green to confirm focus, which it should do also using the MF-AEL button trick but doesn't. So I find the camera is just as alive using the half press with AF, with the MF-AEL thing as a useful alternative if you're doing a fair amount of close work and don't want to have to go to macro mode (although that's where I want the focus confirmation MOST because its where it messes up the most, even IN macro mode).

A great camera, now slightly better!

-Ray

Back