Fuji x-e1 Black vs Silver

Discussion in 'Fuji X Forum' started by Pixl10, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Pixl10

Pixl10 SC Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    I am interested in buying this camera for my husband. Can't decide between the 2 colors. I read somewhere that the silver version shows scratches more than the black. Is this true? Is the silver a shiny type or more dull? Any help from forum members would be appreciated. I had an E-P3 before and it was quite a shiny silver. I can't tell from the pics.
    Thanks

2. tdp

tdp Guest

The silver is more matte than shiny. I have the silver.

I would guess that both the black and silver scratch about the same so it just comes down to looks.

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    It's definitely personal preference. As tdp said, it is kind of a flat finish and I don't think one will scratch more easily than the other. They are both beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CapoDave

CapoDave SC Veteran

Dec 3, 2011
    Mission Viejo Ca
    Dave Kavlich
    I have the silver, but would havd been just as happy with the black.
    Nice gift BTW.

5. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Methinks you should get to know my wife. Talk to her. And eventually get her around to your thinking. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Maybe Hyubie is right. Would you like to have dinner with my wife....I'm buying.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    One of the more striking features of the X-E1 is the retro style. A black camera back in the '60s and '70's was rarity. (One of the reasons Pro's went for the black over the silver. Not because black was less obtrusive.)

So I suggest silver, just because it looks more retro.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pixl10

Pixl10 SC Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Lol. The more I read about this little camera the more "I" am liking it. I use a D7000, and it is great to shoot the kids and their sports and school events but I sometimes wish for a smaller camera with superb images. Maybe I will use it more than him:wink:
    I think the silver looks stylish, makes a statement. Black looks serious. I think maybe silver....

9. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Apparently some are finding that the black rubs off on the corners showing the metal underneath. I'd go Silver!

10. nianys

nianys SC Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    Black !! The lack of OVF makes the silver solid bar on top look really... solid (as in "weird"). On the black version the lack of OVF window isn't so obvious. Also, I love the fact the black is just a bigger version of my beloved X10.

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    it is a scientifically proven fact that all-black cameras produce much greater image quality than cameras with silver bits on them ...

• Like Like x 4
  12. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    If I were buying for myself, I'd buy the silver...because it reminds me of my first love, the Olympus OM-1. So there, Paul!:tongue:

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    For some reason I can't put my finger on, this camera looks better to me in black.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

14. Pixl10

Pixl10 SC Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    The black probably looks better as the lens is black! Blends more with the body? I really wish I could see them side by side, but my local camera store only has black. I see your point nianys, the lack of OVF seems to affect the black less. I was surprised how light this camera is even with the kit lens compared to the OMD with kit. It looks like silver is emerging on top here.
    Thanks.

15. tdp

tdp Guest

16. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    So whats gonna happen when you buy him an adapted silver Leica lens ... like the APO-Telyt-R 1:5.6/1600mm? Don't worry about silver versus black. Don't worry about your husband. Purchase the silver and keep it for yourself. Hell, get the black and keep it for yourself.

Gary

• Like Like x 3
  17. Pixl10

Pixl10 SC Regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Might just do that, get one and be done. I feel silly even stressing over the color choices, and pictures like above don't help. In the end the image that comes out is the only thing that matters right?
    Must say tho' the above picture is droolworthy! :confused:
    Thanks!

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. SC All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    My first love too, except mine was black.

Probably why I prefer all black when I can get it. If anyone is giving away a silver XE1, though, I'll gladly take it off your hands. :biggrin:

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    If need-be, I'll flip a coin ... you call it.