Fuji X10 - First impressions and a few random images

Discussion in 'Fuji Forum' started by Jules, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    I've only had my Fuji X10 for a few days, but I'm really quite impressed with this little camera.

The handling is good and all the controls I want are right at my fingertips. Image quality is very good and I find the RAW files easy to work with. Actually, I'm wondering if I even need to shoot RAW. I shot RAW+JPEG yesterday and the jpegs looked excellent, with great colours and detail and well controlled noise. Not sure I could let go of my RAW files entirely though...

Here are some images from the last couple of days - for some reason I felt compelled to convert them all to B&W (just ignore the randomness of the subject matter!):

• Like Like x 9
  2. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Great photos!! Thanks for sharing :) its an awesome little camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    Excellent examples of how versatile this jewel of an X10 can be, Jules! Very nice black and whites, as well.

When I first got mine, I shot RAW + jpeg, as well, even though I'd read Ray's and other's hands on reviews extolling the jpegs. Well, let me tell you, I've gone jpeg on the X10 and never looked back. I even tried using the RAW button a couple of times on scenes that I thought might need to extra play, but didn't need it.

Having just spent a month using solely the X10 everyday in the Single in January project, I can say that I, too, think it's a wonderful camera. I'm so glad to see your photos and look forward to more!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    I'm still shooting RAW and Jpeg but this is one camera where the Jpegs are so good I haven't really been able to improve them.

What I love is being able to use the camera's built in RAW processor on the RAW file when I get home.
    I can then change the colour mode , sharpening , DR at my leisure and to be honest the variations of shot that I get out of the camera look great to my eye...every bit as good as my best efforts with Lightroom!

The X10 is a real beauty of a camera even with orbs :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    Thanks everyone! For the moment I'm going to stick with RAW+jpeg, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up shooting jpeg only with this little beauty.
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I shoot raw on everything but my Fujis. I went through the same thing with the X100 before realizing the jpegs were better than I could produce from the raw files - particularly the NR algorithms they use seem to be better than I can do with Nik Dfine, and there's still plenty of latitude for using Silver or Color Efex to dress 'em up when I want to... The X10 is similar but adds the element of EXR shooting, which I don't think any third party raw processors really know how to deal with. I don't Aperture even supports the X10 raws yet...

• Like Like x 3
  7. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Me too. The X10 and the X100 are the first cameras I've owned in quite a while where I find myself shooting only JPEGs.
    . . . David
    • Like Like x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You have a good eye.

The X-10 is a delightful little camera. The IQ may not be as good as a DSLR with a large sensor, but it's size and functionality have injected some new enthusiasm into my photography. I find that if you make the effort to learn how to use it, you can make pleasing images under any conditions.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. nikki

nikki SC Top Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Dublin ,Ireland
    Nice shots Jules I like the shoes the best !
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jules

Jules SC Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    Bremer Valley, Australia
    Thanks for the feedback peeps.

I see there's lots of support for shooting the Fujis on jpeg only. I do have to admit that I haven't been able to quite match the colours of the jpegs when processing the RAWs. They really are gorgeous.