Fuji Fuji x10 or some say x50

Actually, where DOES this 2/3 sensor size slot in relative to the 1/1.6, 1/1.7 size found in the LX5, S95, XZ1? I have a chart that shows those sensors relative to the very small P&S 1/2.5 and the much larger four thirds sensor. If my very basic math is right, a 2/3 would be the same as 1/1.5, which would appear to be only VERY VERY VERY slightly larger than the 1/1.6 found in the LX-5, which is infinitesimally larger than the 1/1.7 found in the S95, XZ1. So is there enough difference there to be a difference, or is it just enough for marketing purposes? I'm guessing this is basically another LX5 / XZ1 type camera with nice glass and Fuji features.... IOW, probably not all that much to get worked up about...

-Ray

Actually, where DOES this 2/3 sensor size slot in relative to the 1/1.6, 1/1.7 size found in the LX5, S95, XZ1? I have a chart that shows those sensors relative to the very small P&S 1/2.5 and the much larger four thirds sensor. If my very basic math is right, a 2/3 would be the same as 1/1.5, which would appear to be only VERY VERY VERY slightly larger than the 1/1.6 found in the LX-5, which is infinitesimally larger than the 1/1.7 found in the S95, XZ1. So is there enough difference there to be a difference, or is it just enough for marketing purposes? I'm guessing this is basically another LX5 / XZ1 type camera with nice glass and Fuji features.... IOW, probably not all that much to get worked up about...

-Ray

It will all be in the "feel" - (as it seems to have all the facilities, IQ, user interface, good lens, etc., etc. - that you would wish for)

I loved my Digilux 2, and might find love again with this camera. And there's always been a warm spot in my heart for Fuji since the days I shot with the GA645 & G690BL.....

So funny you should mention the Digilux 2 (D2). After researching the X10, I've found myself looking more and more at this classic compact. I know if I based my decision on Overgaard's opinion (very infectious and compelling he is) I'd buy one tomorrow. 28-90mm f2-2.8 and shares a 2/3" sensor, albeit only 5MP and noisy at ISO400, etc., etc., but the UI! Love the idea of the shutter speed dial and apertures on the ring, how novel! :blush: If only the VF was a little larger and clearer. Hmmm....certainly doesn't help that a mate at work is currently selling his D2. Hmmm......

P.S., Whoops lens is f2-2.4!...thanks for the heads-up! Now why could Leica and Panasonic do this 5 years ago and we struggle to see similar specs today?

-Ray

Yep, 2/3 is the same as 1/1.5. Basically the difference between 2/3 and 1/1.6 is marginal. But Fuji's EXR sensors are very special, especially if used in LN and DR modes...

So funny you should mention the Digilux 2 (D2). After researching the X10, I've found myself looking more and more at this classic compact. I know if I based my decision on Overgaard's opinion (very infectious and compelling he is) I'd buy one tomorrow. 28-90mm f2-2.8 and shares a 2/3" sensor, albeit only 5MP and noisy at ISO400, etc., etc., but the UI! Love the idea of the shutter speed dial and apertures on the ring, how novel! :blush: If only the VF was a little larger and clearer. Hmmm....certainly doesn't help that a mate at work is currently selling his D2. Hmmm......

P.S., Whoops lens is f2-2.4!...thanks for the heads-up! Now why could Leica and Panasonic do this 5 years ago and we struggle to see similar specs today?

I think the thing that made the D2 so successful was the amazing Leica DC Vario-Summicron ASPH f2.0-2.4 lens. It allowed the 5mp sensor to show a maximun amount of detail. I don't assume the Fuji's lens is in quite the same class, but Fuji lenses are quite good and coupled with a modern EXR sensor could produce some surprising results. I will be watching this closely as I would like a smaller back-up camera for my E-P3.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet or not, though I don't think it has. For those hoping for some more info:Fuji X10 compact first impressions and ISO test | EOSHD.com. Here is an excerpt:
The lens is nice and sharp wide open at F2, and if you are focussing closely enough you can get plenty of shallow depth of field at F2 on the 2/3″ sensor. The actual focus length of the zoom lens is 7.1mm at the wide end, so that means the sensor is roughly half the size of the GH2′s – a 4x crop over full frame 35mm. However that’s still about 25% larger than the average 1/2.3″ compact sensor, like in the Sony HX9v.

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet or not, though I don't think it has. For those hoping for some more info:Fuji X10 compact first impressions and ISO test | EOSHD.com. Here is an excerpt:

Now I'm re-confused about the sensor size. This says 25% larger than the smallest 1/2.3 sensors. I'd seen other calculations indicating it was about 30% larger than the 1/1.7 sensors found in the premium compacts like the S95 and XZ1, which just never sounded right to me. Clearly both cant be true! I guess all that really matters is how it performs and we'll get more on that as the production versions start getting into reviewer's hands.

-Ray

Now I'm re-confused about the sensor size. This says 25% larger than the smallest 1/2.3 sensors. I'd seen other calculations indicating it was about 30% larger than the 1/1.7 sensors found in the premium compacts like the S95 and XZ1, which just never sounded right to me. Clearly both cant be true! I guess all that really matters is how it performs and we'll get more on that as the production versions start getting into reviewer's hands.

-Ray

I think that calculation (30% larger than the 1/1.7 sensors) is correct from what I have read. Lets hope so!! :cool:

The Fuji F200EXR (I think Lili has one?) has a sensor which is only a fraction of a mil smaller (1/1.6" (8 x 6 mm)) than the X10, so if you like the IQ from that, you'll like the IQ from the X10.
(in fact I think I might get the F200EXR, DCW in Aus still has stock, and then sell the F550EXR)

The F200EXR is a great little camera, I certainly won't sell mine. I also regard the X10 as Fuji's real successor to this model.

Geez, Sue. I'd say I was worried that you wouldn't have access to the RAW format with the "200". But to be truthful, I can't beat the JPEG quality out of the "550" so I imagine the same holds true with the "200". Good luck.
. . . David

Just to add to this ... taken in Dorset, VT, this weekend with the F200

DSCF1149.JPG
[/IMG]

A higher DR setting would have helped you avoid the burned-out clouds. Try it out next time, you can manually go up to 1600%, combining EXR DR with conventional DR by underexposure and tone curve adaptation. Each method offers up to 2 more stops of dynamic range (400% each), hence you can gain up to 4 more stops compared to a DR100 setting.

Back