Fuji X100 advertisement

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by Streetshooter, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
  2. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Wow, I was a bit lost without the language, but was that ad basically saying that being a street photographer with the X100 would get you laid and leave the woman terrified and running away while you hold your camera and sit there with a rather sick look on your face??? That wasn't ALL of it, but that was the dominant impression I came away with. I don't think you'll be seeing that one on the telly anytime soon!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Ray, My wife agrees with you 100%.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Sure beats the hell out of Ashton Kutcher!! Fuji X100, the camera for grownups.

6. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    David, that's funny.
    I'm waiting for the Penelope Cruz version.

7. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    it is gone now

8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm with Ray and Tanya. I, however, did think many of the images throughout were incredibly well done. Maybe I'll become a film maker one day - instead of watching them.

Do you think that the video was actually all video, or were there stills intermixed?

9. Ray Sachs

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Well, I'm all screwed up that way. I always tend to see these things the way women do yet, on some primordial level, I still want to BE that guy in the commercial. So I either get the best of both or the worst of both, depending on how you choose to look at it. :cool:

Regardless, I'd love to see the marketing research that tells them how many frustrated 30-something guys are gonna buy the cameras after seeing that!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    I saw it as...
    With an X100, you can capture the moments of life ...

11. andrewh973

andrewh973 SC Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    NYC metro are
    From a cinematic view, it's got a David Lynch/Wim Wenders feel all over it (although, Wenders endorses the Leica brand). The voiceover could have been -- contextually -- completed unrelated, in translation, for all you know. As for the seductive schoolgirl [and tatooed Yakuza] imagery, I took it for an art director's preference -- as accepted by the Japanese. Historical Japanese erotic art depicts just this kind of scenery. But, this particular clip holds lots of loaded imagery, especially in contemporary culture. As with Don, the message I understood, was that it's a camera with which to photograph life as it goes from moment to moment -- at a blink, before you miss it -- every emotion frozen for all eternity (how sappy can I be?). Were it to be broadcast here (the almighty censors behind the curtains wouldn't allow for it), I'd call it ballsy, with dark elegance. I liked it. The evangelicals would have a field day, however.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    the link does not work for me can anyone repost a working one?

13. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
  14. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
  15. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Lili, the second link that BruPri set up does work, while for some reason Don's doesn't for me.

I liked many of the images in the film. I also like Wim Wenders but haven't seen any of his films in many years. One of my all time favorites of his is Faraway, So Close! / Wim Wenders - The Official Site.

16. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili

Ok then that worked, thanks BB
    As to the ad in question
    o_0
    0_o
    0_0
    i.....seee.....

17. andrewh973

andrewh973 SC Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    NYC metro are
    Wim Wenders on the Leica M8, I believe originally shown at Photokina 2008[?].

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ray Sachs

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    I don't think I'm particularly puritanical, but using the camera to shoot yourself (or someone else?) having fairly intense sex is a bit much for an advertisement, even one that kids wouldn't see. And there's something about the look of the woman running away near the end of the ad and the look on the guys face as he's slumped back on a bench or something and holding his camera sort of cradled by the strap that's just flat creepy. I don''t see much in terms of capturing the moments of life in that, or any relationship to having a camera with you or how you use it. There were plenty of moments and photographs around the city that made sense in a gritty commercial. Those didn't, to me. Maybe being able to understand the voice over would have cleared some of it up?

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  19. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog S.C. Charter Member

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    I like it, risky and visually intriguing

20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Umm...yeah, great. One X100, please...or perhaps not.