Fuji X100 and X10 Instant Rebates Starting Tomorrow - Great Deals at Adorama

+1 to everything Ray said. I've always enjoyed photography, but I've never loved a CAMERA like I do with the X100. It's hard to explain, you either "get it" or you don't. Some don't like the experience at all...and that's fine. That's why there's 31 flavors.

And as an aside to Ray, after the Brewers gifted those 3 games to your Phillies, you owe me one ;)

The IQ from the RX100 looks wonderful but there are a few things you just CANNOT do with it that rule it out for me, in addition to it being a little small and lacking in controls for my taste. The LX7 looks nearly PERFECT from a handling/features/UI standpoint, as well as the zoom range and the fast lens. But I'm a bit skeptical of the small sensor and will have to see a lot more results from it before going that way.

The RX100 is the only one I can imagine keeping with me 100% of the time including when I'm not planning to do photography, but I also know that I never end up doing that (bringing a camera everywhere) regardless.

7655983454_ec032f92fe_o.png

The RX100 also has the killer sensor and probably the best rear display of the three. The LX7 has a some really nice features: fastest lens in class, multi-aspect sensor, built-in-ND, and aperture around the lens. Both the Sony and the Panasonic will no doubt have more polished/less buggy menus/software than the Fuji.

All that said, the X10 was designed as if someone were taking notes on my last 6 years of dreams. It's the only one I find strongly tempting of the three. The reason I've been able to resist it all this time is that the great majority of time, I'd rather carry the GX1 and 14/2.5 instead.

7656080570_39b98eb661_o.png

+1 to everything Ray said. I've always enjoyed photography, but I've never loved a CAMERA like I do with the X100. It's hard to explain, you either "get it" or you don't. Some don't like the experience at all...and that's fine. That's why there's 31 flavors.

And as an aside to Ray, after the Brewers gifted those 3 games to your Phillies, you owe me one ;)

Well, it appears I have until August 12 to decide. But I suspect I know what's going to happen.

BTW... I was at a Phillies game only last Saturday... to see them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against the Giants. Hey, we're only 14-1/2 games back right now but we may pass the free-falling Mets on our way up. :D

So Amin, does the viewfinder mean that little to you? You are comparing the X10 with that great finder against 2 cameras without one (or your GX with an optional one...and do you opt?)

And that size comparison tool really handicaps the X10 too....don't you think? In the comparison above, the Sony is slightly smaller than the others, but I'd call the others close enough to not matter.

Luke said:
So Amin, does the viewfinder mean that little to you? You are comparing the X10 with that great finder against 2 cameras without one (or your GX with an optional one...and do you opt?)

And that size comparison tool really handicaps the X10 too....don't you think? In the comparison above, the Sony is slightly smaller than the others, but I'd call the others close enough to not matter.

Size differences are such a personal thing. For me the Sony is the only one I wouldn't even notice in a jeans pocket.

The X10 finder does matter to me and along with the mechanically-linked zoom and distinctive looks are the reasons why the X10 would be my pick over the LX7 and RX100, or the GX1 and PZ14-42 for that matter. However most days I'd rather have the GX1 and pancake with me instead, and I go without the optional viewfinder unless I'm carrying in a bag.

Well, it appears I have until August 12 to decide. But I suspect I know what's going to happen.

BTW... I was at a Phillies game only last Saturday... to see them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against the Giants. Hey, we're only 14-1/2 games back right now but we may pass the free-falling Mets on our way up. :D

I was at that game too. Really good game except for the ending. And the consolation prize was the standing 'O we gave Hamels when he got pulled, despite a pretty seriously sub-par performance, is what he claims was sort of the final straw in his decision to take the Phillies offer and stay around. So overall it was worthwhile. It would take a miracle to make the post-season this year (although stranger things have happened - look at St. Louis last year), but I think the Phils will be much better in the second half with their nucleus back in the lineup. So I still have hope that they still may have a future if they keep showing they're willing to spend the money.

Luke - I must be developing empathy or something. Because as much fun as it was to watch those three games as a Phil's fan, I was acutely aware of how painful it had to be watching from the other side. Any one of those would have hurt badly, but three in a row like that - oh my goodness! So, I feel your pain, but I don't owe you anything. After the first half we had to suffer through with what was left of our decimated team, its just karma working to put the universe back in balance a bit...

As for the size/weight thing, the only of these cameras I've ever tried carrying for any length of time in a pants pocket was a Canon S90, as small or smaller than any of the models we're talking about here. And I found I just don't use a camera that way. I either take it for a purpose, in which case I'm happy to carry a very small belt pack or something for it or put it in a jacket pocket during the cooler and colder times of year, or I don't take it. I'm not one who wants to have a camera available at all times in case I see something - its just not how I function. And even the S90 was a bit bigger/heavier than I wanted in a pants pocket all day, so pocketability just isn't an issue for me. I just like having a relatively small, all-in-one type camera with a decent zoom and decent controls and decent image quality for when I want to travel really light or when I'm going on an outing where photography isn't a primary purpose but might be at least part of what I'm out to do. So, the size of the RX100 or S100 really doesn't matter to me, but even small m43 cameras only fit the bill with a pancake lens. I've got the small fixed lens thing covered so my ongoing desire for a zoomable camera is just to have something more versatile available... And I keep coming back to the X10 also. But who knows what'll show up in the next few months...

-Ray

I've often thought of owning a jeans pocketable camera, but have never seen one I would consider good enough to bother with. Now that there is one, I'm thinking about my available jeans pocket space. Couple sets of keys in one and my cel phone in the other.

Oh, the dilemmas of modern life. How do we cope?

I've often thought of owning a jeans pocketable camera, but have never seen one I would consider good enough to bother with. Now that there is one, I'm thinking about my available jeans pocket space. Couple sets of keys in one and my cel phone in the other.

Oh, the dilemmas of modern life. How do we cope?
:D

Yeah, I don't think I am getting the jeans pocket thing. Like you said Luke, I always have my phone, keys, etc. with me, really more than I want to carry in my pants anyway (and I try to carry my phone in hand, whenever I can, to avoid self-microwaving/irradiating). I know the IQ of the cameras in question are better than the very best smartphone cameras, but I just don't see something as small as the RX100, for example, pushing me to carry a camera significantly more than I do now.

I think for my wife, it would probably be a different story... she really likes the Pentax Q, versus her old E-PL3, because she can throw it in the smallest of her handbags. Man, if only murses/man purses would be accepted by society!

Okay, the other thing I was wondering, is how well will a fixed lens will hold up riding in a pocket? I mean, I even wash my jeans occasionally, but it would seem like a pocket is not the best place for a camera with dust, lint, etc.?

the murses are starting to catch on here Kyle. As long as it looks manly, you're cool. And I also wonder about the pockets thingie. When I empty my pockets to do laundry, there's all sorts of extra "stuff" that's mixed in with the coins and whatnot. Not sure I need dust bunnies and lint balls working their way into the nooks and crannies of a $650 point and shoot.

Unfortunately I ran into the ups man as I was runnin out the door. So it's with me boxed up while I help a buddy pack his toy hauler for motorcycle races this weekend. Mebbe we need to document the loading of motorcycles.....??????? Lol

Can you describe the finder a bit more? The X10 finder is of course amazing, the overlay is great but to be honest as long as an OVF is large and bright that is enough for me. There are no framelines right? I am guessing the entire finder window is (more or less) what the captured image will be.

Can you describe the finder a bit more? The X10 finder is of course amazing, the overlay is great but to be honest as long as an OVF is large and bright that is enough for me. There are no framelines right? I am guessing the entire finder window is (more or less) what the captured image will be.

The finder in the X10 has no information at all and isn't all that accurate to the actual framelines (I think I remember maybe 80%???). It also doesn't change from 4:3 if you decide to shoot in 3:2 or 1:1 or something. But its big and bright and is a very adequate framing tool when its bright enough to need or to steady the cam for shots at the long end of the lens. And you can sort of see the little green focus confirmation light out of the corner of your eye, although you can't really be sure exactly where the focus box is in the frame. Its not in the same league as the X100 finder which is a bad thing but it also isn't in the same league as the G12, GX1, P7100 finders, which is a very very GOOD thing.

-Ray

I'm a bit confused. The x10 has a perfectly adequate OVF with no info and only 85% coverage. It's great to have it when the sun makes the LCD unusable. There is nothing great about it, however. Are people thinking of the x100 vf, which an amazing piece of hybrid technology?

the X10 viewfinder is significantly better than the viewfinder one gets with the Sony RX100, LX7 or most other smaller sensor compacts, because they don't come with ANY. The X10 VF while simple and not giving full coverage is a pretty clever little set-up the way it zooms. Any viewfinder is better than none.

There are clearly photo ops right where you live, Gubrz - well done!

I particularly like the first...such a telling scene of "these days" with someone lost in thought staring at their "smart phone". Sometimes I think smart phones are the bane of some's existence.;)

Back