Fuji Fuji X100 diopter sadness :(

wt21

Hall of Famer
I just received my X100. I was pretty excited to give this one a good workout. I tried the XPro 1 and the XE1, but didn't prefer them over my 6D. I decided to commit myself to a fixed lens approach for my mirrorless, and see what could happen.

But the diopter on the X100 doesn't accommodate my poor eyesight :(

Stupidly, I didn't know what I needed, so I didn't even realize there are ranges. I thought it was binary: diopter yes or no. So, it's my own fault for not researching.

I just Googled the diopter specs on the OMD and NEX 7 -- both of which I have tried and could adjust to use successfully, and also the XE1, which I had good success with.

OMD goes from -4 to +2
NEX 7 from -4 to +1
XE1 from -4 to +2

X100 from -2 to +1

This applies to both the EVF and the OVF, and having my glasses on or off doesn't help , leaving me only the LCD to shoot with. (Over the last 6 months, I have found I now need bifocals, so it's possible my prescription needs to be updated. I'll have to think about the expense to update my glasses, in relation to trying out the camera.)

Sad to hear about that. I guess I'm genetically lucky that my eyesight is still 20/20 after all the abuse I have done (and still do) to it.

Would love to know your thoughts on performance and general usability - I think I have a fairly good idea of IQ from the old vs new sensor (but don't stop me from letting us know your thoughts about that too!).

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to handle the X100/X100s at B&H Photo before I get around to buying one. It may or may not work with my middle-aged eyes. If I go Fuji, I may have to go with an X-E1 instead.

Gee, I'm sorry Bill. Don't give up yet if you can wait. I've been wearing progressive lenses for well...the last 35 years and haven't had any problems with my X100 - and I have an astigmatism in both eyes that is not even symmetrical plus other eye weirdnesses and nary a problem with my X100's viewfinders.

Really - bummer. I had actually checked that and was concerned before I bought it. I usually need to crank up the diopter adjustment on my cameras to +3 in order to be able to use the viewfinder without my glasses. For whatever reason, at +1 (the max possible with the X100S) the finder display works just fine. :confused:

Really - bummer. I had actually checked that and was concerned before I bought it. I usually need to crank up the diopter adjustment on my cameras to +3 in order to be able to use the viewfinder without my glasses. For whatever reason, at +1 (the max possible with the X100S) the finder display works just fine. :confused:

I'm the same. I have it wound up much further on other cameras, but +1 is fine for me.

Back