Fuji Fuji X70

ray, the x100 has a shutter speed dial--set it where you want, put camera in auto iso, and viola! the dial overrides the menu setting.

having said that, i dont see anything interesting about this cam. for the $100 i spent on it, imo nothing beats the x10 for this kind of shooting.
Using the shutter speed dial isn't the same thing at all because it's a specific shutter speed, not a minimum - which means you have to think about it all the time. With the Nikon setup (and Fuji's in the higher level ILC models), I can set the parameters so that it makes the same decisions I'd make if I was shooting manually, using the same logical progression. And, thus, I don't have to think about it except for exposure comp or if it's getting SOOOOO dark that the minimum shutter speed will be violated - I need to be aware of that but it takes a pretty extreme situation where'd I'd expect to have to think about it.

This isn't a priority for everyone, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine - having gotten spoiled with cameras that work this way (and more and more are - even Sony is on-board with it now) - I can't imagine ever going back to one that doesn't...

-Ray

Ray, i fail to see why yould like to see a higher minimum shutter speed than 1/125 in auto iso mode. Could you please help me out? I do understand that you sometimes need faster shutter speeds but that's when I set shutter speed manually.
I admit that I prefer to set aperture and shutter speed manually anyway.

Using the shutter speed dial isn't the same thing at all because it's a specific shutter speed, not a minimum - which means you have to think about it all the time. With the Nikon setup (and Fuji's in the higher level ILC models), I can set the parameters so that it makes the same decisions I'd make if I was shooting manually, using the same logical progression. And, thus, I don't have to think about it except for exposure comp or if it's getting SOOOOO dark that the minimum shutter speed will be violated - I need to be aware of that but it takes a pretty extreme situation where'd I'd expect to have to think about it.

This isn't a priority for everyone, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine - having gotten spoiled with cameras that work this way (and more and more are - even Sony is on-board with it now) - I can't imagine ever going back to one that doesn't...

-Ray

perhaps it has more importance with an interchangeable lens camera, but imo, with a fixed 35mm lens and topping out at 1/125, its kind of a distinction without a difference. i personally dont see any logical progression i would use to set a minimum speed with that lens at 1/250 or faster, and if i needed those speeds, theyre available on the dial. we probably should just agree to disagree.

Ricoh GR is an excellent camera, however, I have always found its AF very frustrating. Fuji is not known for its autofocusing prowess as well, but if it's as good as X-T10 or even X-E2, it should be vastly superior to GR in that respect.

For me the camera should have either a tilt screen or an EVF, preferably both, but no EVF and no tilt screen is a big NO in my book. That's why I have never bought a GR despite being seriously tempted with it. But X70 looks very promising. I also don't care about it having "only" 16MP — it's more than enough for almost any use.

i dont know. why does my post office close in the middle of the day? i guess they feel it doesnt really make a difference...and truth is it really doesnt 99% of the time. i guess they feel that minimum shutter speed is to provide the least one can use with a given lens without producing camera shake. whats the point of 1/250--or 1/1000 minimum used with a 35mm lens, especially when the camera manufacturer is providing you a shutter speed dial as an override? de jure its a 'limit'; de facto it is not. again, perhaps its best to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
This tweaks me not at all. I still have my original X100, and whilst there are things about it which frustrate me at times, I find it does what I want, when I need it to. Looking at the tilt screen, it looks like its going to be one of those that flips all the way down for selfies, and TBH the selfie market is annoying the crap outta me lately... . LOL

perhaps it has more importance with an interchangeable lens camera, but imo, with a fixed 35mm lens and topping out at 1/125, its kind of a distinction without a difference. i personally dont see any logical progression i would use to set a minimum speed with that lens at 1/250 or faster, and if i needed those speeds, theyre available on the dial. we probably should just agree to disagree.
Whether you really need to shoot at faster than 1/125 or 1/250 is something we can easily agree to disagree on - when I'm shooting on the street (which I don't do as much as I used to, but still) I'm often shooting moving subjects while moving myself - I find something above 1/400 to be where I need to be to assure that I'm almost never getting motion blur or camera shake blur. It being a wide lens doesn't negate that. Your wants/needs may be very different - surely for shooting static subjects when you're taking your time, you wouldn't need anything close to that - I don't.

BUT, the point is that if you want a faster shutter speed, for whatever reason, legitimate or not, being able to get there with a minimum shutter speed in auto ISO means you just have to set up the camera for the minimum. The key point being that in bright light, if it needs to go faster, it'll go faster without any input needed from me. Using the shutter speed dial (or any other manual control) as a faster SS over-ride isn't a minimum - it's a single shutter speed for a given shot or maybe a small group of shots. Requiring attention on a shot by shot basis. With a minimum shutter speed, I tell it not to go below that minimum and it won't (until all other possibilities have been exhausted - that's the progression it uses, as have I when I've shot in full manual in the past), but it'll easily go to a faster shutter speed when it needs to, saving me from having to tell it to on a shot by shot basis.

Not everyone shoots that way - I don't shoot that way for everything. Although unless I specifically want a slower shutter speed for a time exposure, tripod work, or trying to induce motion blur in a panning shot or something, I do use it for pretty much everything else. But I have different settings with different minimum shutter speeds and different max ISOs depending on what I'm shooting. Based on the discussions I've had with others, most people who start shooting that way don't want to go back... Or certainly don't want to be without the option...

-Ray

Last edited:
I can't come up with a reason to get this camera if you already have the GR or the A. I like tilty screens when I need it, but they are not really a factor when I'm making a decision. I also never learned to use a touch screen on a camera. Ofcourse that's just me, but I still think the existing similar cameras are hard to beat with this.

Nice writing Bill, but I'm not sure if a pile of old sensors is worth designing an all new camera though.

No, I agree, eating into a pile of old sensors alone isn't worth it, but hence my other point about test-marketing some new to the range functionality like a touchscreen. You wouldn't put something so divisive into your new range-topper but you might certainly try it out lower down. On the sensor front, Fuji will have contracted to take X number of sensors over Y period of time from Sony - they will fabricate most into new cameras, then put a proportion aside for spare parts based upon known failure rates. If, however, they have a surplus, what better way of using them up than in a "new" chassis; once the 24mp X-Pro2 comes out sales of the 16mp X models will decline as people expect to see the larger sensor in new releases in the coming months.

All that said, this does have the feel of a design that has been sitting around on the drawing boards for a while, I must say.

To be fair, Ray, it's not my site. It's owned by a chap named Mike Evans. He invited me to be a regular contributor last year; I do most of the Fuji and Ricoh stuff, he does Leica and Apple ;)

yes ray, appreciate the explanation. truth is i am pretty well acquainted with how auto iso works, esp on the x100 as ive had that cam since it came out, and i pretty much have always had auto iso on. about 75% of what i shoot is street life and i just have really never found any real life problem with fujis implementation of that feature. i just dont seem to encounter wide available light fluctuations during the day on the street. ive also found i can pretty much freeze most normal action at 1/30 when shooting at night, so im happy with 1/125 if necessary during the day, and if not, i find setting the dial to 1/250 when the prevailing light demands small effort. but then again many found issues with that cameras af speed, and for me, i can count on the fingers of one hand shots i missed due to slow af.

Last edited:
yeah, funny thing on the sensor for me:
I have no problem using older sensors in my older cameras... But if I bought a new camera today - at a price that reflects that it's a "current" camera - I'd be kind of disappointed if it's still a 6 year old sensor (unless that sensor was something very special - which this one ain't. It's a solid sensor, but no magic :) ).
If this was a newly designed 16MP sensor though (with all the recent advances rolled in) it could be a completely different story.

Other than that, the specs are too similar to the GR and Coolpix A that the only market I can see for this is photographers who love the Fuji controls&design so much, that they couldn't live with one of the other two...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand all that hand-wringing about the touchscreen. It can be tremendously useful for quickly changing AF spot etc. And if you don't like it, it's easy to turn it off.

I easily understand how wi-fi, touchscreen and other such things may seem superficial and even unnecessary, but remember that dedicated cameras are a collapsing market. Camera makers need to fight the onslaught of smartphones and to expand the appeal of their wares to a new audience (people who are used to having touchscreen, immediate connectivity and what not). Otherwise they will simply die.

If you want a preview of what it's like to have touchscreen focus on your X-T1 / etc, use the camera control app on your phone. That's what kicked me over into the "ok... this would sorta cool to have as an option sometimes" camp. There are times when I...

1. Am holding the camera away from my face, probably at arm's length to get it higher / lower / into a group of people, and thus
2. Am using the LCD to frame

...and in those cases, tapping the subject to have the camera focus and fire IS the fastest way to shoot, period. Literally one little finger tap on the right person's face, etc, and -click- shot is in the can. Faster than focus-reframe, faster than moving the AF point and firing.

Back