Fuji Fuji XE3 anyone?

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
This sub-forum seems a bit stale. Anyone get a Fuji XE3 yet? Or pre-order one? The camera has been calling my name recently. Fortunately, I haven't seen it "in stock" anywhere. So I haven't had to stop buying baby food in order to finance the new camera. :)

I do find the omission of the keypad a little strange. Using up, down, left and right swipes on the touch screen seems counter-intuitive specially if you have your face planted against the camera. On the other hand, the addition of the joystick seems like a good idea.

I hope the AF in the post XT1 and XT10 era is vastly improved, especially at low light.

Hope everyone is doing well!

It does look nice as does the price point. But I bought into Fuji because of the old style manual controls which would force me to think differently behind the lens and this new model has less of that. So once again, I'm sticking with the "old" X-T1.

It's a handsome camera. However, I think that that one of the strengths of the XE line has always been the electronic viewfinder, and the times I've played with one in a shop I've liked the EVF. But it seems that the XE3 viewfinder is smaller than the earlier models, and that bothers me more than the touchscreen and joystick changes or the absence of a flash. I'm looking forward to reading user reviews to see what people think of the EVF out in the real world.

-R

Last edited:
Come join us at the sister site Fuji X, it's never stale over there. I bounce between that and SC.

As for the X-E3, no thanks. I like my controls to be accessible by feel - and my first X series camera, the X-E1 invoked just that. Which started my eventual "sampling, leaking" switching" as Thom Hogan describes it from Nikon to Fuji. But the X-E3 is too big a change in the ergonomics. I'll stick with my XT-10s and see what comes next after the XT-2/20.

The X-E3 is an interesting camera because it seems to be aimed at those who are not the traditional control loving Fuji customers. If it sells, it will simply expand the Fuji user base.

It's not for me. Touchscreen, lack of manual controls; it's an iteration of the XA line rather than a worthy successor to the X-E line.

Other than the directional pad, the XE3 only lost one more button. It gained an extra control dial. So manual inputs are mostly still there. I don't like the up, down, left and right swipe though. It should have been optional and pad should have been left alone.

It's a handsome camera. However, I think that that one of the strengths of the XE line has always been the electronic viewfinder, and the times I've played with one in a shop I've liked the EVF. But it seems that the XE3 viewfinder is smaller than the earlier models, and that bothers me more than the touchscreen and joystick changes or the absence of a flash. I'm looking forward to reading user reviews to see what people think of the EVF out in the real world.

-R

I had no idea the EVF was smaller. I thought it was the same one used in the XT10/20 and XE2/2S. Maybe better refresh rate.

I'm starting to think I miss-read somewhere that the X-E3 has a smaller viewfinder than the X-E1 and X-E2. A quick Internet search tells me that the X-E3 has a 0.39-inch 2360k dot OLED viewfinder with a magnification of 0.62x, which I think is the same as before. Apologies for the confusion.

-R

If it had a tilting LCD I would have considered it. I like the tilting touch on my X70 and the additional touch features of the XE3 would be nice.

I know many don't like touch screens, but Fuji has probably the best implementation for enabling/disabling with the always active on screen button. Compare that to Panasonic, you have to use an Fn button for it. The button pops up a yes/no box which is OK when you want to turn off the screen. But not when you want to turn it back on. Then you have to use the direction pad and OK button. It would be better if when that dialog box comes on screen they enabled the screen so the process would be the more intuitive.

Back