1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fuji XM1 silver body $503 at Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Armanius, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I have idea why Amazon's price on the XM1 is all over the place, but the silver body is listed at $503 now. The brown body is listed at $699, and black body at $645.

Silver kit is also cheaper at $727 vs $799 for black and brown kits.

2. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I'd get the black, but now I'm not so sure, now that the current x-tran generation looks weaker than it's Bayer brethren.

3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Not sure when X-A1 bodies will be available though or IF they will be available. I got a new de-kitted X-M1 for $460 shipped so they are definitely dropping in price.

I know it bugs Rico and I don't mean to do that, but I think Fuji will be dancing.

But for all that, I have the X-M1 and like it very much. I'll be reviewing it soon but it's one of those cameras I expected to "tolerate" for the image quality, and found it's actually pleasant to shoot. I'm sure the X-A1 will make a lot of people happy.

What I find interesting is that the two cameras have the same lens in the kit so it there is a $200 price difference in the kit, it's all in the body. That would mean X-A1 bodies SHOULD sell below $300 based on what I paid for the X-M1 body! How cool is THAT if it happens! That's a LOT of image quality in a new camera for very little money.

4. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I rented an XM1 in August, and I agree -- it's actually a very well laid out camera. Yes, it's different than the RF-type dials on the XP and XE and X100 series, but if you compare the controls to the more "traditional" mirrorless, I'd say it's as good as all the rest -- better even than the EM5, NEX, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    How's the touchscreen on the X-M1, then? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I've been thinking a lot about the X-M1 and X-A1. But, at the end of the day, is either really going to get me much more than, say, my Pentax K-01 with my DA Limited primes? Yes, the Fujis have the tilting rear LCD. They are just a bit smaller, too. But it's mostly in body thickness. None of the three are pocketable with a lens attached, all have excellent APS-C sensors and all have great image quality.

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Steve,
    I chase enough cameras to tell you straight. The Fuji is not in any way better than the K-01, unless you become a lunatic pixel peeper. The playing field is level. Pretty much all ASP-C sensor are close enough to the same. It comes down to ergos and glass.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, ergos. That's a big thing, actually. And a highly personal one. I get along with the K-01 just fine. But I still want to play with the Fuji twins. I guess a trip to B&H's brick-and-mortar store is in the cards soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I agree. The Pentax/Sony 16 mp sensors are right up there with the best APS-C sensors. My only beef with Pentax is that their cameras are butt ugly, in my humble opinion. And I did have front/back focus problems with lenses on my K5.

10. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Highly defective! I can't get mine to work at all! Strangely, it hasn't affected the quality of my shots...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Armando, you need to get the COLORED ones. :eek:

12. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    See, I don't mind the way Pentax's cameras look. To my eyes, the K-5 has a functional and a tad industrial look, the K-30 is a bit on the stylish and racy side and the K-01, while ugly, is ugly in a cool way - like an original Volkswagen Beetle or an old Saab 96.

Re: back/front focusing issues on the K-5 - almost all lenses need focus adjustment on the K-5, which is annoying. My K-30 is much better in this regard. And the body-only cost about $450.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Hey, the K1000 and Spotmatic were minimalist beauties if you ask me... Of course, so was every other SLR of that era.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Good to hear. At some point though, I have to compare what this camera offers with what it's competitors offer and choose one or the other (or neither).

15. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Silver body price in Amazon went back to normal price of $699. But black body and black kit are still slightly discounted.