Fuji Fujinon 14mm f/2.8 Close Focus at f/16

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
One of the things I like to do in urbex is get real close with an ultrawide but some don't focus very close. So, you end up stopping down a lot and ending up with diffraction limited sharpness that is often visible. Also, when you're close the DOF on even an ultrawide can seem surprisingly shallow making it difficult to get the shot you want.

I struggled with this on micro four thirds because even though they had deeper DOF, they got into diffraction limited blurs faster.

Here's a test shot today with the 14mm f/2.8 and a 100% crop (should be viewed 1025 pixels across). I think this lens focuses plenty close, and is pretty sharp even at f/16.

The shot is in Fuji Velvia mode in mixed lighting, hence the wild color. From JPG with minimal processing and sharpening at ISO 400.

Full Shot:

9809806625_5522c89067_b.jpg

Fujinon 14mm Close Focus Test: One Good Turn by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

100% crop near center:

9809812724_60b2218087_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fujinon 14mm Close Focus Test: One Good Turn (100% crop) by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Very interesting John. At f16, I suppose you use a tripod?

Oh, yeah. The majority of the urbex stuff is. I usually declare when it isn't because it's rather unusual, lol. Light is typically dim and my style is to shoot by available light whenever at all possible.

I've done a lot of this kind of shooting and this lens is unusually good at it. Now if it were only wider, lol.

Back