Film Fun with film cameras (Image thread)

Love this thread!

Here are a few oldies (from the 70's, sorry can't resist). I believe the camera was a
Minolta srt 101.... so long ago. Enjoy

Thanks for looking,
Pete

update: I just realized my son is holding a spot attachent for a light meter,
so I believe now the camera was a nikon F photomic.

Just getting caught up here. Pete, I would love to see as many 70's pics as you can post. :)

Two recent film shots, both shot with a 1953 Kodak Signet 35 on Kodak Gold 200. The first was converted to B&W with Silver Efex and the second was heavily manipulated in PS CS5.

5631419845_0c7ca4dc1d_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5628470926_8c1f722a3f_o.jpg

Regards,

Antonio

Capilla Ecuménica (Ecumenical Chapel)

Looking through some old negatives, I came upon these:

6188208107_7cf6cbc489_o.jpg

6188208199_ddb7f2d297_o.jpg

6188208263_a195db4910_o.jpg

Taken in 2001 with a Contax G2 (very serious compact) on Kodak BW400CN chromogenic B&W film.

Cheers,

Antonio

Hi Antonio

can you share your scanning work flow - I have recently scanned maybe 1,000 negatives and I am not really happy with many of them

Cheers

Hi Bill,

what negatives (b&w / colour), what kind of scanner and what software?

Cheers
Bernd

colour negs with Epson perfection V350 photo - using the software that came with the scanner and then trying my best in LR to improve the image

As I have said on another thread - "cheap" film has not kept well - the Kodachrome and Fuji stuff is better

I bought a battery for my Pentax Espio 738 compact just the other day. And then, I realised that I no longer have any idea where to buy film or get it developed. I no longer know anyone with a darkroom and have no idea if any of the old labs are still working. I suspect they are not. But I might shoot one roll just for old time's sake, and see how the old girl performs. She did well as a new camera in 1996.

Thank God I live in a 'poor' country where many people are still shooting film because they can't afford going digital.

Of course, professional film (like Portra, Ektar or Velvia) is hard to get, but at least more pedestrian varieties (like Kodak Ultramax or Fuji Superia) are readily available.

Gee, I've just realized I sound incredibly self-centered, don't I?

The local Walgreens has 4-pack 200 speed color film on special, came to less than $1 per roll. A friend sent me 8 fixed-lens rangefinder cameras, all requiring various degrees of repair. Mostly stuck shutters.

So far I am 4 working and 1 dead, a few more to go. Good thing I bought 16 rolls from Walgreens.

Hi Antonio

can you share your scanning work flow - I have recently scanned maybe 1,000 negatives and I am not really happy with many of them

Cheers

I would be glad to, but I don't think it would help much. I am not satisfied with my scanning results either. I use an Epson V500 scanner with the Epson software. I get very good scans from E-6 slides and chromogenic B&W film (such as the scans I just posted). I get so-so results from Kodachrome and conventional B&W, and mediocre to awful results from color negative film. It seems that with color negative film unless the negatives are close to perfectly exposed and not faded, it's very hard to get good accurate colors.

I scan at 4800dpi. I know that's more resolution that what is probably needed, but I read in a column by Ctein that it's better to scan at a higher resolution and then downsample. Unsharp Mask off, Digital ICE on (but not on B&W or Kodachrome since it will absolutely mess up your scan). I hit the autoexposure icon and save as a TIFF file. My scanner is also set up for Adobe RGB color space.

I open up the scan in PS CS5. I open a Curves adjustment layer and hit "Auto" which usually does a pretty good job of adjusting the color balance. I work on any remaining color cast by manipulating the individual color channels or using the Remove Color Cast effect on Color Efex 3.0.

I am sure this is not the best way to do it and would certainly appreciate if anybody with a better method can share their workflow with me.

Good luck, Bill.

Regards,

Antonio

Went to the local pharmacy and supermarket this morning, as I know they both used to sell film, and those instant throwaway film cameras... but... nothing. Now I got that battery, I really want to shoot film again, even if it is only on an old compact.

Antonio

6193993984_feff2a8d92_o.jpg

Shot earlier this year with a Canon TX and 35mm 2.8 nFD. Shot on Kodak Gold 200 and converted to B&W using Silver Efex Pro 2 through PS CS5.

Cheers,

Antonio

Q. What do you do on a sleepy Sunday afternoon while you wait for your son to finish his school report?

A. Scan some more 10 year old negatives.

6204540893_6e4a70ac2d_o.jpg

6204541101_8a14af1fd6_o.jpg

Contax G1, 45mm 2.0 Planar (I believe). Kodak BW400CN Chromogenic B&W film. Shot in Arecibo Puerto Rico in 2001.

Regards,

Antonio

Back