Fun with JPEGs

Discussion in 'Fuji Forum' started by kevistopheles, Mar 4, 2016.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles SC Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    All of the pics I post here are shot jpg and edited in Polarr.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ean10775

ean10775 SC Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've been shooting JPEGs more and more as of late. If I do end up editing them I've been using Snapseed (which I've been pretty happy with). I hadn't heard of Polarr until now. Have you also used Snapseed? If so, how do you find they compare?

4. I shoot in JPEG+RAW. 95% of the JPEG images are fine with the few tweaks available. Still, there are a few times I need a bit more and I switch over to the RAW files.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Photographers Lounge mobile app

5. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I *think* I've used snapseed a few times on mobile? I don't think I recall much about it. I just googled images of the user interface, and it looks superficially similar. Hard to say, really. What i use on Polarr most are...

- Radial filters, which give you exposure, lows, highs, clarity, saturation, vibrance, warmth, and a few others.
    - Graduated filters, offering the same controls.
    - Dehazing, RBG curves, denoising, sharpening, and other common global edits
    - individual color controls, allowing you to saturate / tint / brighten-darken 8 individual colors
    - Exporting directly to Box etc

And then I can create and save presets, which saves TON of time. Once I get into a batch from one place, I figure out the basic edits and save/name them. Then each new pic starts off 90% of the way to done, sometimes 100%. It's pretty robust, and I paid $20 once to have access forever.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ean10775

ean10775 SC Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Thanks. As I own LR I don't see much use for the desktop version (though I like the look of the interface), but I'd be interested in seeing what the IOS version has to offer. According to the Apple App store, they are planning a relaunch of a new version this month.

7. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    That's my hitch: I work almost entirely on a locked work laptop. Can't install a single thing. So for me it's web-based or nothing.

8. ean10775

ean10775 SC Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I like the idea of having curves adjustments. Snapseed doesn't offer that to my knowledge.

9. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    That, and the dehazing tool, get a lot of use with me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kevistopheles

kevistopheles SC Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    I played with Polarr and it is a pretty nice tool. On the Mac it uses the same engine that Photos does (which is decent) and the adjustments seem pretty intuitive although how to get a BW is a bit of a puzzler. I wouldn't be able to use RAW with the X10 if I wanted to for some reason as it doesn't support it...but then again we're talking about using JPEGs here so not really a big deal.

25200859139_97c47c1c74_b.jpg
    before the first cup by kevin dixey, on Flickr

...a quick snap in less than ideal conditions

• Like Like x 4
  11. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I just drop saturation to zero for b&w.

12. kevistopheles

kevistopheles SC Regular

Jan 2, 2015
    Thanks, I spotted that right after I posted.