Fungus and reconditioned lenses

Name
Nick Clark
Hi all,

I've been looking for a short tele for the M2 and have found a very nice looking 'fat' 90/f2.8 Tele-Elmarit. The seller has receipts for a recent $400 refurb, but the documentation mentions that the lens was cleaned of fungus.

It looks mint so I'm just wondering if people have had issues with older lenses and fungus after being recoed?

Cheers, Nick

It's impossible to remove fungal spores short of operating in a clean room.
Storage is what promotes fungal growth . Dark damp and warm being optimal.
However a few fungal threads on a lens won't have the smallest visual impact on images and nor are lenses with visible fungus "infectious"
Extremely heavy infestation - I mean almost opaque - will decrease contrast and increase veiling flare.
A heavily infested lens that has been cleaned may still retain marks as the fungus' secretions can etch the glass
The absurd obsession with lens cleanliness and lenses that are unmarked in the smallest way means there are bargains to be had ...

What he said.

Sunlight is your friend.

People's tolerance to fungus is entirely subjective. If you are using old glass, it is almost unavoidable.

Personally I would reject anything too hazy or fungussy, but then I believe mushrooms should only be served in garlic, or on top of a pizza anyway.

Back