1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FYI: International CC purchases from Cameta Camera.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by kyteflyer, Jul 25, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Be prepared to send a scan of your most recent credit card statement to them, to be allowed to buy (or send a fax, or do a direct deposit all of which cost more $$$). I've decided not to go ahead with my purchase from them, I think its ludicrous in these days of instant information that they cannot verify my card. Here's the salient parts of the email I received yesterday (and which mail.app sent to junk... huh?)

Whats even stranger is that the processing had already begun... there was a pending on my card from Friday night which disappeared on Monday morning... clearly they pulled it... but I dont know why... it must have been verified well enough for that. Anyway, changed my mind about buying from them. I'll make do with the J1 by itself for a while yet.

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    I agree Sue, i had the same problem with them before. it sucks. but i even got to a point where i thought they just simply DONT want to sell outside the states. but they dont want to say it, they make it expensive and complicated enough to all customers from overseas.

3. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Just the other day I ran into a situation with a Japanese business, selling me the half case I wanted by CC was available but complicated, luckily I was able to make the purchase via their Paypal without issue. Odd that Cameta don't offer the same option.

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I think Chris is right... they likely don't actually want to sell outside the US. Oh well, they lost a sale and I am back looking at other sources.

5. Covey22

Covey22 SC Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Sorry to hear that Sue! :confused: I wish I had known.

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Its OK. I've decided its all a furphy anyway, they said it was so they could confirm the address because of the fraud potential... but if I did a direct deposit, they still would not have confirmation of my address, and if I had got into someone elses bank account, could still defraud. I asked them what was the deal about the pending, and Liz said it was the dollar or penny or something which would have dropped off once the card was confirmed. So I dont know what the deal is. I've taken them out of my camera shopping place list.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    The best and only real way to "punish" some brand or store about a bad service or bad practice is not even talking bad about them, but just dont use em anymore until they fix the problem(s).

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm not out to punish them. Just to let other non-US people know not to go through the process unless they are prepared to do all this. :)