1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FZ28 and the "Film Grain" setting

Discussion in 'Superzoom Salon' started by MiguelATF, May 12, 2015.

1. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Playing around with a venerable small-sensor Lumix bridge camera, the discontinued FZ28, and I discovered one of its scene settings - 'Film Grain' - which creates a look and an effect similar to that which I used to occasionally get shooting Tri-X and pushing the development one or two stops....it's rather fun.

Here's one of the first images to come out of the FZ28 - very lightly tweaked in LR5 but pretty close to an SOOC JPEG -

17359525919_c6cf6e9874_b. Stanley in contemplation by
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    , on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    See, now here is really good evidence for having the superzoom salon. I have not seen this shot before, and I love it! I always wanted an FZ28 but at the time caved in and got a Fuji S8000fd instead.

Great shot, Miguel, and the grain is quite delicate, isnt it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    It's got that "get-my-film-to-Saigon" documentary look to it. I like it!

Cheers, Jock

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I've always liked that look too, probably because of my own background pushing tri-X. That's a nice jpeg pre-set. Olympus has (or had?) a similar one in their Pen series. I'm sure there are others. It's funny - as much as I like it, and as easy as it is to emulate in Silver Efex Pro, when I get around to processing B&W shots, I rarely use any more grain than I need to to cover for any noise or soft focus issues. But I like it when I see it...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1