Canon G1X Mark II - reviews

Review is posted on DPR. Still don't know what to make of the 2. They seem to praise IQ while concurrently pointing out that it is lagging vs Sony. It gets a 77 and a Silver award, but the review doesn't read that way to me.

I want to like this camera, but I just can't get there.

Looks like a really good little camera that's an updated sensor away from being a truly great little camera. I saw too much of the incredible stuff Nic shot with the first version of this camera to dismiss this one, but with the quality of sensor in the RX100 but at this larger size, with better shadow recovery, DR, and high ISO, it could be all a lot of people would ever want.

-Ray

Well said Ray. Canon seems to be at a fairly significant disadvantage when to comes to sensors. It'd be nice to see them catch up someday.

I think that the G1X is a more unique proposition for not having yet another ubiquitous Sony sensor on board. I wouldn't want a gain in measurable sensor quality if there was a trade-off in the immeasurable.

I think that the G1X is a more unique proposition for not having yet another ubiquitous Sony sensor on board. I wouldn't want a gain in measurable sensor quality if there was a trade-off in the immeasurable.

Now that you changed your wording, I can agree with this completely. I couldn't respond when I first saw your post - I guess right after you initially posted - but I was thinking 'more unique for sure, but I don't know about better'... The Canon sensor certainly has it's qualities and charms. But as a frequent low light shooter, and knowing how much better this camera COULD have been with one of those ubiquitous Sony sensors, it's the difference between being basically unintersted and being extremely interested in this camera.

-Ray

Now that more reviews are out, the G1XmkII seems to have way too many issues with it. I got an Olympus XZ-2 and saved $500 and probably a lot of aggravation, and the images I'm taking look just as good as what I've seen from the G1XmkII. Right now, I think the XZ-2 is the best bang for the buck P&S you can get for less than $300. The G1XmkII and the RX100mkIII just don't check all my boxes, so I'm looking forward to the rumored Fuji X30 and Nikon P8000. I don't want a big heavy camera without an EVF and obsolete low resolution sensor or a tiny bar of soap style camera with a very limited zoom range. If the X30 or P8000 do ever materialize, have the handling, specs and match the IQ of the RX100mkIII, I will get one of them and make the ZX-2 my backup camera.

snapshotrepublic.com

Which is the larger sensor G1X MII or Foveon?

The current Foveon sensor is 1.5x aps-c, which is larger than that of the G1X Mk II. The original Foveon sensor in the DP1, DP2, SD14 etc was 1.7x, still a bit bigger than the G1X Mk II.

The irony about Canon's current sensor tech is that in the mid 00's and up to the 5D Mark II, Canon CMOS large sensors were top of the game. Now they are quite overshadowed by Sony, who came to the camera game much later.

Back