GASoholics - what is your number??

I've not taken the time to count, but it's a lot, 30 on the low end, probably actually 40 or more.

The odd thing, or maybe not, is that I've found myself retracing my steps quite a few times. I'm currently back a few years with the Olympus E-P5 and E-M5 and Fuji X10. While they've all been passed by as more capabilities are heaped on newer cameras, I've come back to them because they are my favorites. That is meaning more to me lately than a few extra MPs or a half stop here or there, or things like 4K photo mode.

So while my list seems very much ridiculous, I do think it has helped me understand what I prefer, and that considerably more has to go in to the decision on what camera to use beyond what is seen on a spec sheet.

my kingdom for some clarity!

I think what you need to clear your mind, Luke, is a nice long walk...
And while you're leaving the house, might as well take a camera with you... (any camera will do :) )

And then, next time you ponder 'gassy' thoughts again, step away from the computer and take another nice walk.
And while you're leaving the house... ;)

Seriously : ) I think we all easily get caught up in unimportant details while we're sitting at the computer, reading about things...
Looking at my current own "favourite" selection, there are about 80 photos altogether - roughly taken over the last 8 years. Half of those were taken around the house, on the way to work, on a lunchbreak, a sunday afternoon walk, a visit to the zoo... It all adds up. And I've used all sorts of cameras on these - from cellphone, small sensor compacts, to APS-C DSLRs to micro-four-thirds...
Guess my point is (if there is one) just go out and take pictures... and then some more... and some more...
Cameras will come and go. But your vision will be consistent... and will get consistently better too!

(Apologies for the philosophic ramble in this gear-listy thread ;) )

P.S.: I'm still falling into this trap even today... but I'm slowly getting better at giving myself that slap to step out of it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
My first "serious" camera was a Nikon D40 bought in 2008, it quickly accelerated :yahoo:

2009 - Canon S95 (dropped it on a trip, it broke)
2010 - Nikon D5000 (replaced the D40, sold it to fund the D5100)
2011 - Another Canon S95 (eventually sold when I got the RX100s)
2011 - Olympus XZ-1 (sold it after I got the Sigmas)
2011 - Sigma DP1 (still have it, don't use it)
2011 - Sigma DP2s (sold it when I wanted the Merrills)
2011 - Sigma DP1x (still have it, don't use it)
2012 - Nikon D5100 (it broke in 2014)
2012 - Panasonic LX5 (sold it to help pay for the RX100)
2012 - Sony RX100 (still in use)
2013 - Sigma DP1 Merrill (sold both Merrills to fund A6000 + lenses)
2014 - Sony RX100m2 (still in use)
2014 - Sigma DP3 Merrill
2014 - Fuji X100 (never bonded with it so I sold it off)
2014 - Sony A6000 (still in use)
2014 - Ricoh GR (still in use)

This makes me realize.. I haven't bought a single camera this year :hmmm:

Back