Generosity ...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by pdh, Jun 3, 2012.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    People's generosity never ceases to amaze me ...

I've been getting scratchy about the lack of control I have in using film, as I have to get it d&p commercially.

(I've realised this is one of the main reasons I've found digital so absorbing and enjoyable, as I have control over almost the entire process (except printing))

So I placed an ad. on a local Freecycle site asking if anyone had any darkroom gear - I was thinking along the lines of a tank, safelight, measuring cyls, that sort of thing ... one guy has, however, not come up with anything like that, but instead today gifted me a complete Kaiser enlarger (colour head , built like a tank) with all accessories excluding only a lens ...

Whether I'll ever get round to using it I have no idea, but if I haven't used it in a year's time, I'll give it to someone else who wants one ...
    • Like Like x 5
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Freecycle is wonderful when used for the purpose for which it was designed. I gave a lot of high value items away locally, only to find them turning up at the markets a short time later. That's not what its about, so I stopped.
  3. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    That would upset me a lot, Sue.

I either give to friends/relations or will donate [amvets, salvation army, churches/shelters] locally when I want to just give away things. I prefer giving directly over foundations but if the money benefits those in need then I am okay with it. I donate yearly which is closer to fall cleaning than spring.

Adding, I don't have the temperament for garage sales. When I put it out there for practically nothing [because of course I know the cost] and they haggle over pennies it bristles me. I haggle myself at times but it's like I can just smell a re-seller. They offer you half or less of the virtually nothing you are asking for in a popular item. Hmmm. So this is why I just give. If it is a large item I might craigslist, have yet to ebay though I have purchased on ebay.