1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gentex - Optex SteadePod

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Herman, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  2. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    I've seen this idea used before with a bit of looped string and a 1/4" thread adapter.... don't think I'll be rushing out to include one for my kit though..... :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  3. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    She's obviously not very bright if she can't work a tripod. Obviously a product for the hard of thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grant

Grant SC Veteran

Nov 12, 2010
    Lunenburg Nova Scotia
    I have been using a string pod for years and it is one of the first gadget hints I give my students. They are super easy to make, small light and compact. A 1/4" by 20 ibolt and a hunk of string, chain or cable will do. It can give about 2 extra stops. Total cost is about half a buck if you have the string, nothing if you also have the ibolt.

My walk around kit always includes a string pod!

• Like Like x 2
  5. It is a very old trick which was commonly used for amateur cine-photography decades ago. The easiest and cheapest way to this is if you have a spare quick release plate with a D-handle bolt (many of the Manfrotto and larger Slik tripod quick release plates for example), tie a string of the adjusted length with a loop at the bottom. Put your foot through the loop and apply upward tension.

I would be surprised if you get 2-stops advantage but it could be possible. Better still, if you use the video mode of your camera, it is almost as good as a steady-cam.

The Steadecam is a very neat application of the idea but I would think a little overpriced. For the same sort of money you can get a cheap monopod.

• Like Like x 1