Getty Approves the Leica X1

Discussion in 'Leica X1/X2 Forum' started by BBW, Aug 7, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    A thread caught my eye on the L.Camera site's X1 forum just now titled "X1 first compact approved by Getty" there's a bit of discussion about where the news sprang from - apparently Leica Rumors posted this Leica Rumors featuring this piece by Chris Cheesman from Amateur Photographer Leica X1: The ‘first compact approved by Getty’ news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums which was published on Friday, August 6th, 2010.
    The L.Camera thread also very nicely has a link to Getty's approved camera's, if anyone is interested: gettyimages.com/contributors - Digital Camera Reviews

Kind of interesting news, I thought. I realize that Getty is a stock photography company and that some might think that selling one's photographs to them is akin to selling one's soul to the devil. I don't really have an opinion because I don't have any experience with stock photography. I first became aware of them when they forged some kind of relationship with Flickr...and then I started asking some questions over on mu-43.com and learned that as a company they've been around since Methuselah, well almost.:wink:

It would seem to me that their de facto endorsement (they do list the X1 on their site's list) speaks well of this camera's image quality and that's a nice bit of recognition, I think, even if you don't care about stock photography.

P.S. "Breaking news" update. I was just about to get offline and noticed the Leicarumor's site had an update with a link to a piece in the British Journal of Photography, published on August 6th, 2010 by Oliver Laurent: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j.../1727025/getty-images-approves-compact-camera in which Getty does, indeed, confirmed their approval of the X1. Here is a bit of the text:
    One certainly can understand Leica's being happy about this affirmation.

• Like Like x 3