Sony Good day all.

Char

Good day all.
Proudly owner of RX1003. I am just a less than beginner in photography and my question will sound naive. When making shot from close, still not macro, the center is focused and around is blury. What to do to have it all sharp and "focused". For now, "intelligent" looks the best. Other words, how to make macro photo without blur?
Thanks all.

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like your problem is that the depth of field becomes too shallow. If you check some of the pictures you've taken that you consider blurry outside the focus point were they taken at f1.8 or similar?
If you set the camera to Aparture mode (A on the dial) and set the aperture to around f5.6 or f8 you should get a much larger focus zone. This will reduce the light hitting the sensor, so you might also see the ISO go up (and thereby the image quality go down) if you're trying to do this in low light situations, but that is the way the physics work.

Thanks. I had try but not what I am searching for. Here is my problem. You can see that front of the watch is blur and back focused. Now, is it possible to make it better at all?

DSC00688.JPG

333.jpg

This is what I want to do. I have no idea how. What settings, how to do it, which button to press... But it is obvious that no blur here

201511-nardin-31e.jpg

I would expect the last image to be made with a technique called "focus stacking".
You take several shots, moving the focus point between each, and use software to combine it all into a shot where everything is in focus.

And here it is. I hope I have my homework done. ISO 100, A (Aperture Priority), try to fix cam as better possible and hand focus, which without stativ is hard. But it is closer to my needs, speaking of focusing. Hope for more comments and advises.

DSC0101g9.jpg

That is better.

As has been mentioned, your issue is from the wide aperture the camera would normally select in lower light situations. You have to see it from your camera's way of thinking... it doesn't know what you want. It only knows the light isn't super-bright, so it opens up the aperture to let more light in, which almost always makes people happy. But it comes with a trade off: the area of focus ("depth of field") becomes very thin with a wide open aperture, especially when you're very close to the subject!

So you have to tell the camera...

"Thank you, I see where you're coming from, but no, I need a smaller aperture so that the whole watch will be in focus."
"BUT THAT MEANS A HIGHER ISO AND/OR A VERY LONG SHUTTER TIME." (cameras type in all caps)
"No problem, I have you on a tripod, so why don't we set the ISO to 100, the aperture to f8, and you can leave the shutter open for a full second if you need to."

You do this, of course, by telling the camera you want ISO 100 and f8, and then see what resulting shutter speed it needs. And you would have to have the camera held perfectly still, either on a tripod, or by being very creative.

XXX.jpg
Hi good people.
I took seriously your advises and have try so hard but better than this I can not do. It depends a lot of lighting, how and which details you see. But according sharpens, focusing, I think it is decent? Could someone post one good similar pic so I can compare?

Back