good day from sydey

jazzle

Regular
:) Hi everyone,

been lurking in this forum and finally decided to join after I bought a Ricoh GR Digital III yesterday :)frown: however already discovered a big dust spot on the sensor within 24 hours of ownership, and hopefully i can get it repaired or replaced asap).

Just a brief intro about my photography journey (or lack of), unlike most, I was never interested in photography until last year :redface:. I bought my first ever camera, a Canon S90, last june so i could take some photos when I go mountain bikings and bush walking. I like to do a lot of research before buying anything and as I read more and more about photography and cameras, I have become obsessed with it. (admittedly I feel that I am more of a camera lover than a photographer hehe).

Since then I have bought a Nikon D3100 and sold my S90 but as I learn more about myself and what I want/like in my photos. I come to a conclusion that I need to have a small camera with me at all time and image quality to me is not as important as capturing interest moments that I would occasionally come across, therefore I decided to purchase a Ricoh GRD III. There isn't many cameras out there who has such good controls for manual shootings and is still portable.

I do not have any online photo album to share with you and I am not confident enough to do so anyway but I hope i will one day :D

cheers

Welcome. Bummer about the dust in the camera.
Many have put a vacuum over the extended lens to suck out the dust. I did this and it worked.
Looking forward to your participation and thoughts and images,
Later my friend...don

thanks for the replies :)

@Streetshooter, could you please give more details?? I have been googling around and it seems this is a common problem for GRDs and I can't really be sending my camera back for warranty every 2nd month :D hahaha. So if there's a way to fix it myself it would be great.

thanks

Attachments

• R0010015.JPG
    R0010015.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 178
G'day from a fellow Aussie. Actually there's a few of us here. Just a second..

"AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE" :polling:

I expect at least three Ois!!!

Meanwhile, great choice for your serious compact - though the S90 was up there as well. Look forward to hearing about the results of your DIY sensor clean (don't stress too much Don aka Streetshooter has never led any of us astray... :laugh1:) Also looking forward to seeing results from the GRD - oh they are a great cam!!!

Ok,
Try this. Get a vacuum ready. Hopefully it has a blower also.
Ok, I see your set up... Now just relax, this takes a few tries but works.

Turn the camera off. Gently but with a little force, tap the camera against your palm.
Do this 2 xs to start. Turn the camera on.
The lens extends. Put the vac hose etc over the lens so it's against the body with the lens in the hose. Turn on the Vac. It's a good idea to tap against the palm now.
Jiggle the camera/Vac hose around.
Ok.... Turn off the Vac and the camera.

Do an exposure test and check the image.
If there's still dust, repeat the procedure but this time...
Use the blower first then quickly the Vac.

Test again with an exposure....
If all goes well.... I drink Single Malt....
If not... Continue the procedures till its clean.

It's best to do this alone as anyone watching will have funny thoughts about you....

It's best to do this alone as anyone watching will have funny thoughts about you....

Good on ya Don! I completely disagree, and suggest videoing the whole procedure and posting here for our 'education'. It sounds intriguing and thoroughly entertaining. Maybe mute the sound though as the subtle Aussie ways of coaxing things can be a little harsh to international ears :blush:

Must say though, that it sounds doable and should work a treat....wouldn't be surprise if this is how it's done at the repair shop!

Mark, the loose language of OZ is what is closest to my language here in Philly.
I get some 4 letter words out and Tanya stares at me with those cold blue Russian eyes.
I tell her it's part of English but she don't buy it.

Anyway, I have done this with every fixed lens digicam I have owned.
Works fine....

G'day from a fellow Aussie. Actually there's a few of us here. Just a second..

"AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE" :polling:

I expect at least three Ois!!!

Meanwhile, great choice for your serious compact - though the S90 was up there as well. Look forward to hearing about the results of your DIY sensor clean (don't stress too much Don aka Streetshooter has never led any of us astray... :laugh1:) Also looking forward to seeing results from the GRD - oh they are a great cam!!!

OI OI OI!! :)

s90 was definitely a great camera, i like it so much I actually convinced 2 friends + my brother to purchase s95. :) In fact it is better than the GRD III in some aspect. (not saying I'm regretting my purchase :p)

Ok,
Try this. Get a vacuum ready. Hopefully it has a blower also.
Ok, I see your set up... Now just relax, this takes a few tries but works.

Turn the camera off. Gently but with a little force, tap the camera against your palm.
Do this 2 xs to start. Turn the camera on.
The lens extends. Put the vac hose etc over the lens so it's against the body with the lens in the hose. Turn on the Vac. It's a good idea to tap against the palm now.
Jiggle the camera/Vac hose around.
Ok.... Turn off the Vac and the camera.

Do an exposure test and check the image.
If there's still dust, repeat the procedure but this time...
Use the blower first then quickly the Vac.

Test again with an exposure....
If all goes well.... I drink Single Malt....
If not... Continue the procedures till its clean.

THanks for the step by step guide, very informative and interesting:D but (un)fortunately I cannot try that out now as I went to the shop this morning and they gave me a new replacement.. woo hoo... I am one happy man at the moment.. was even singing on the way back home too

jazzle, welcome aboard and please do not hesitate to post some of your photographs here on Serious Compacts! We are all on the same road...just at different junctures. Please check out this sticky thread that outlines the different methods that can be used to share photographs here on the site: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/

Very glad to have you here.:drinks:

thanks BBW, will do

Thanks everyone for welcome and help, I already feel like home.

Hi jazzle, welcome to serious compacts! I'm just breaking in a new GRD3 too. Hope you'll post some of your pics soon and also jump in with the weekly challenge.

Back