Sony Goodbye x20 hello rx100

radius

i have changed my x20 into an rx100 and it was'nt painful. Itried the x20 for 2 days but could not get on with it as i wanted a truly pocketable top quality compact and good image quality. I already own an x100 & xe 1 with the 18-55 & the 35 so am well catered for in that area...but there are times when i need something smaller, which is an s95, but felt that i needed something morrecent hence the x20..but it is not truly pocketable...so i changed it for the rx100 nad no regrets. i did have an rx briefly at the beginning of the year so i know the ins and outs and more importantly the picture quality. Now i just need some decent weather...

Both great cameras, if I were looking for a pocketable zoom compact, those 2 would be my main options at the moment. Let us know how you get on with the Sony once the weather improves!

Yep live in the UK and the weather is pretty bad at the moment, but hopefully it will improve in the next few days and i will be able to get out with my 100....a few observations, the sony focuses faster than the fuji especially in low light, i prefer the feel of the sony to the fuji & yes i know that is a personal thing...in the hand it feels and handles like my s95...picture quality is a step up from the s95 and the fuji.

Yep live in the UK
Hard luck!;)

and the weather is pretty bad at the moment
Understatement!

i prefer the feel of the sony to the fuji & yes i know that is a personal thing...
Interesting... I had an x10 - the handling of which I preferred over the RX100. I only got rid of it because it had totally unreliable focus. I now believe that this was a bad example, as other users report acceptable focus performance. The focus problems were truly the only reason that I sold it... absent those problems, I would still own it.

I replaced the x10 with the RX100, and whilst I don't enjoy the ergonomics nearly as much, the results are outstanding. Sometimes I find myself looking at the RX100 in awe - wondering how there is so much functionality in such a tiny package.:)

I take my RX100 everywhere, and my X20 is delivered tomorrow. I guess i will see which one wins out. Thank God for briefcases!

Like the OP , I too have got rid of my X20 and have an RX100 arriving in the morning.
It's got to be better than the X20 - jpegs awful ( so that removes any usefulness of any modes but PASM ) but the RAW files in Lightroom 4.4 are OK.
I'm sure that Fuji will fix things eventually.

I'm off on vacation on April 17th. Toyed with the idea of trying out an X20. Guess I'll just stick with my RX100!

I too have got rid of my X20 and have an RX100 arriving in the morning.

I think that you'll be impressed... but if your experience is anything like mine, that might not happen immediately!

When I first got the RX100 (three months ago), I wondered, briefly, whether I'd made a mistake in getting it. Ergonomically, it isn't as nice as the x10, and I will admit that I struggled a little, initially, to get to grips with the menus/controls. I found them less intuitive than the Fuji's. HOWEVER, I'm now really starting to appreciate the capabilities of the RX100. It is a superb pocket camera, that punches well above its weight. I'm now enjoying using it, and the output is just tremendously good.

My advice (FWIW): if you find that you don't "click" with it right away, do just give it a little time to grow on you. I didn't really start feeling comfortable with it for perhaps four to six weeks, but I'm now very glad that I stuck with it. :)

After 24hours ..what a gem of camera this is.
The results look more like m4/3 than from a compact , nice colours and JPEGs with as much detail as RAW.
Goodbye X20 there's no going back now.

Any comments on the ergonomics and menus yet?

A printed manual might have helped although I've downloaded the guide on to IPad ( useful ) and got a Kindle version of Alexander White's Book ( not so useful )
My only other Sony is an A55 so some of the Menu layout is familiar to me and as for ergonomics , well , I just love the size - it will do.

I, too, went from the X20 to the RX100 and ordered the Gariz leather half case to help me with the grip. So far, I'm happy with both camera and case.

Yesterday I downloaded Gary Freidman's rather expensive E-Book Guide to the RX100.
I already have a number of his works on Sony Alpha cameras. Although well written , I lost interest when whole passages of narrative and photos would re appear in subsequent editions.

Well , not so with the RX100 Guide.
It is quite original , full of practical tips and isn't just a re-write of the camera user guide.
Well done Gary.

I've also bought a spare battery and a charger because I'm not sure that the USB Port cover is built to stand constant use!

I've also bought a spare battery and a charger because I'm not sure that the USB Port cover is built to stand constant use!

Yes, I'd agree with this.:(
If you find your charger to be a decent quality piece of equipment, would you mind revealing what type, and where you obtained it? (No problem if you prefer not to.:cool:)
T.I.A....

Yes, I'd agree with this.:(
If you find your charger to be a decent quality piece of equipment, would you mind revealing what type, and where you obtained it? (No problem if you prefer not to.:cool:)
T.I.A....

The charger is a Lemix Brand Travel Type with all adaptors bought through Amazon reseller 4value.eu
It's very light , cheap and plasticky but it does the job and lets me charge from the Car , EU ,USA and UK.

Also got the official Sony Ever Ready Type Case.
A complete plastic rip off with poor stitching and difficult studs...nothing like the quality of Canon or Fuji equivalents. Stick with the Ebay versions.

Back