1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Google acquires Nik Software

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by wt21, Sep 17, 2012.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
  2. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Bizarre. An entire company just for one app. I sure hope they don't drop the desktop apps. For us those are more important.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Scary. Reminds me of Cisco buying Flip Video for the underlying technology, then killing the highly popular consumer product.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    hmm ... it'll probably "update" EFX etc to report back to the Google Kremlin just what you are taking pictures of, and where, and what soap you use and what kind of dog/cat you own ... not that you're just a target market object to Google, oh no ... definitely not

"don't be evil" my arse ...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    hehe... and ads may start to appear with the Silver Efex Pro preset menus....

6. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Oh no...could this be the end??

I doubt it and really hop not!

7. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Ouch. Past purchases have often meant the expertise is absorbed into Google and the original application withers. Hope this is different.

8. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Isn't Nik developing Capture NX and View NX for Nikon? If Google puts a stop to that it would definetely hurt them bad.

9. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    The u-point technology is very unique and worth keeping. At any rate, we know that these companies like to own patents.

10. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Adobe should have bought Nik when it was offered. I don't like social media moguls buying up the software though admittedly Google is a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    This reminds me that Sergey Brin, one of Google founders, is a NEX-7 user. #funfactoftheday

• Like Like x 2
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I've had time to think about this, and I am fairly certain we will see the Nik suite gradually disappear, Snapseed absorbed (but mutilated by the absorption process) and perhaps a version for Android users if they are really lucky. Google acquired Sparrow Mail (gone) and Picknik (which I understand is a shadow of its former self) and one cant help considering what happens, usually, when big companies swallow up smaller ones.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that we will be needing to find a new plugin source, once Nik goes, because you can bet there wont be any more development of the existing suite. I will be very happy to be proven wrong.

13. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    It really does not make sense that Google would allow the Nik suite to fall away (though you may be right Sue). It is a great resource used by both amateur and pro photographers the world over. Nikon depends on it too. Maybe Google simply does not care about that. All they wanted was an "app" to compete against Facebook/Instagram. Throw the baby out and keep a little of the bathwater.

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm not hopeful, Andrew. I keep thinking about what happened to Stanza (my ebook reader app of choice) when Amazon swallowed that and killed it off so Kindle competition would not be so great (it didnt work, and Stanza is still working albeit in a crippled way)... when all they needed to do to get Kindle even better was to absorb the best of Stanza into it. But no... apparently Kindle is better (it isnt).

Sparrow was a very popular alternative to mail.app for Apple users.. and I think many hoped that the best of it would be absorbed into the google suite, or perhaps even marketed as a google offline email client, but nope.

I don't know much about piknik but from old users I gather thats been crippled beyond redemption.

Don't hold yer breath, methinks.

15. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Andrew - It's a great resource for those who use it ... But I really can't imagine that those numbers are large enough to generate the size of income stream google will care about.
    Those of us who want more than can be done with the cd that came in the box with the camera are really quite few in number ... but we tend to forget that because we gather on forums like this and it feels like a crowd.

16. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I remember that. It was all over the design blogs, everyone was upset about it.

17. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    I get all that. But it is a powerful tool set for those of us who are serious, particularly for those who make their living with them. They won't generate the kind of revenue that Google likes (only ads do that), but they are valuable to a lot of others. Not just here, but comments elsewhere (tech blogs, newspapers, photography sites) lead me to believe there is a lot of anxiety among fans of Nik products. Everyone assumes that SEP, CEP, and all the others will simply disappear someday. Not that there aren't other options (I've tried them), but I like Nik products, in particular SEP.

18. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Makes you wonder why they spend the money on it. Millions or hundreds of thousands, no idea, just to kill a product which was not even competing. Makes no sense. (But clearly it made sense to someone at the time). I think we will see Snapseed continue, but the rest... probably not. Make sure you have your install files and licence keys safely tucked away, people. :-/

Me too... and Viveza2 as well as CEP. The others... meh. But those three are invaluable. And I only do this for fun! What concerns me for the professionals is what happens on the next update for Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture... will the older plugins break? It isnt going to be a pretty sight, sooner or later.

19. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Perhaps I expressed myself badly.
    My point in essence is that the likes of Google really don't care how good it is or how useful or valuable it is to the existing user base, unless the user base is huge.
    Users of Nik products are quite right to be anxious.

20. Booka

Booka SC Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Sweden
    Don't know much about corporate takeovers etc..... But this seems like a solid move by google to step into the picture editing/storing realm. For now most people seem to be using Aperture or Lightroom and if Google can transform the Nik suite into something competitive over Apple and Adobe and integrate a social media aspect I think they'll have a great setup, picasa isn't enough for many peoples needs.