Google drops support for the Nik Collection.

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by bilzmale, May 31, 2017.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    As most of you know Google acquired the Nik some years ago. They have made the programs free but have not continued to develop them. There is now a notice to that effect on the website but the collection is still available for download here.

Note that Windows 10 is not supported nor is Photoshop after CC 2015. The latest version is 1.2.11.

NOTE: It seems to run OK for me on PS CC 2017 and Win 10 so worth a try.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    But, at least they can be used as standalones. I knew Google would do that, as soon as they dropped Snapseed for OSX. I still have it and its still working. Havent tried it in Sierra but its still working in El Cap

3. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Top Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    I guess this means that the terrible Creative Cloud Desktop program which can't update my PS/LR programs is a good thing as SEP will never be obsolete when using the current backdated PS/LR versions that I have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    The Nik tools still work in Lightroom CC. However for the Mac I am coming round to the idea that Photos as the catalog tool plus Luminar, Creative Kit, and Nik collection would give me everything I need. (I also have the Topaz Suite and Landscape Pro but hardly ever use them). My CC renewal is due in November so I may jump then.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I've been pretty happy with Luminar, Snapseed, the Nik Collection (less than I used to use it though), Intensify, Tonality, Snapheal, Noiseless. A very adequate alternative to Photoshop is Acorn. It doesnt take PS plugins though, but can be used from Photos via the share menu, or via the external editors plugin.

I often bemoan the loss of PS but theres so much available now, the loss is becoming less and less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Suspected that the end was near when Google started giving it away.
    I still find if fun and useful especially with the external editors app allowing the direct interface with Photos in OSX.
    Maybe something better will come along...

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I still use the Nik stuff for almost everything. I guess as long as I never buy another camera that needs a newer version of LR, which may or may not work with the Nik plug-ins, I'm probably OK. Of course, I'm sure some future OS update from Apple will probably render all of this stuff useless.

Crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Ray, have you looked at the MacPhun Creative kit? Similar to the Nik stuff, but in many ways I believe it to be superior. Additionally, it plugs in to PS/LR, Aperture, and works as a standalone. I bought elements of it (Intensify, Noiseless, Tonality and Snapheal) as separate items from the App Store (also, it was cheaper to buy from there) and the whole kit had not been put together at that stage (and really, I neither want nor need all of it) Its worth a look ( a long one, IMO) and there is a trial.

Macphun Creative Kit – Advanced Photo Editing Tools at a Best Price | Macphun

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Its already here... see my reply to Ray :)

What we have to hope for is that Google doesnt buy and kill it.

10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Forgot to mention that Macphun's Luminar and AuroraHD are being developed for Windows. Don't know about the plugins.

11. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    The only problem with Luminar et al is that they don't let you print using ICC profiles. I never used to print many photos but since I joined a camera club this is becoming really important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    I bought the collection right after Google jumped in but haven't used it that much since I've upgraded to LR5.7.
    Anyway, all of that stuff works flawlessly on my relatively new laptop, no need to worry for the next 4-5 years :)

13. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I just downloaded the pack, just to be safe. I'm curious to try the noise reduction and sharpening controls - I found LR4's controls to be capable but quite laborious.