1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Got 1 hour, or more like 40 minutes?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by El Guapo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    My wife and I have found lately we don't have time most nights for a full movie.
    So for some entertainment we have reverted to 40 minute (1 hour with ads) TV series.

I've watched all of the oldies during the 90s like XFiles, Stargate and Stargate Atlantis etc.
    Enjoyed them thoroughly.

Lately I've watched Strike Back S1-4 and very much like Orphan Black right now.
    As you can see I like my SciFi.

What have you seen and recommend?

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    sorry I don't have any obscure sci-fi to recommend. My wife and I both really enjoy "House of Cards"...Kevin Spacey is great and Robin Wright is easy on the eyes.

One we were really into a few years back was "Damages". I think we still need to see the final season. The first one was so riveting we plowed through it pretty fast. Great ensemble acting and enough twists and turns to snap your neck.

3. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    In the Sci-Fi world check out Firefly.

Beyond that my standard recommendation is Breaking Bad.

4. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Firefly, Battlestar Galactica if we're talking SciFi.

Deadwood for being the best series ever. We also liked Suits and Walking Dead.

• Like Like x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo SC Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Hmm, there are a couple I here I will have to check out.
    Never heard of "Suits" even.

Cheers

6. Livnius

Livnius SC Veteran

Jun 3, 2012
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    'Deadwood' and 'House of Cards' are both brilliant.

Digging 'Orange is the new Black' right now.

'True Detective' pretty great too.

7. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Recent stuff:
    Sherlock
    Fargo (the series)
    Peaky Blinders
    Whitechapel
    Ripper Street
    Penny Dreadful

Sci Fi? Stargate SG-1 as mentioned, plus the bewilderingly-cancelled Sanctuary. The Daddy, though, is Babylon 5 - streets ahead in every possible respect of it's Star Trek contemporaries, it is ambitious, imaginative, high concept character-driven Sci Fi at it's best.

Sent from another Galaxy

8. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    True Detective with Woody Harelson and Mathew McConaughey is the best series I have seen since... probably Deadwood.

I also enjoy watching Justified and Walking Dead. Actually, I am constantly surprised at the extent of the set-piece scenes in Walking Dead which are closer to blockbuster movie level than a TV series.

I am also currently working my way through second series boxed set of Person of Interest.

LouisB

9. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    The American series The Killing a remake of the Danish "The Killing" is very good (it is sufficiently different that you can still watch both, which i recommend). What is good about the US version (as compared to some other US detective dramas) is that the actors aren't Barbie & Ken lookalikes.

Falling Skies is worth a look if you like SciFi

10. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I've been digging Orphan Black. We watch a ton of sci-fi.

Defiance
    Lost Girl
    Haven
    Continuum
    Falling Skies

Of course, my favorite is still the rebooted Battle Star Galactica.

Other stuff:

Justified
    Game of Thrones
    Suits
    Covert Affairs
    Castle (Nathan Fillion is good in this)
    NCIS
    NCIS LA
    Person of Interest

11. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I watched the first 4 episodes of True Detective and while the acting was superb, I found it unbearibly slow.

12. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    My wife is addicted to Game of Thrones. But other current/recent series we can both recommend include Sherlock, Inspector George Gently, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Fargo, True Detective, Nurse Jackie, Ray Donovan, Boardwalk Empire and Lillyhammer. I'm a science fiction fan but there's not a whole lot that I'd recommend beyond what the OP has already seen. But I noticed he didn't mention Dr. Who.

13. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    I don't do much TV especially films & tv series on anything but BBC - the adverts make me lose patience too much

I'd recommend the entire Montalbano series - Italian with subtitles & pretty accurate to the books, after that its radio for me - as I write its "Meet David Sedaris" - even better on radio than the books

14. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Just finished an intense Breaking Bad marathon - man, that series is awesome! Might be my favorite ever (that, or Game of Thrones).

On the scifi front, I've enjoyed Revolution although I have a lot of catching up to do. Not quite as stunning as Br Ba or GoT, but giancarlo esposito is in it and he's great. House of Cards is fantastic, as is Homeland (really curious what s4 will be like after the intense ending of s3!).

15. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    My tv committed suicide a couple of weeks ago, and I've taken the opportunity, rather than replace it (which I can't afford anyway), to cancel the licence .

I have decided in future to utilise my evenings more gainfully, and have started to experiment with something I believe the young folk call "heroin" .

I have to say, so far it knocks Coronation Street into an absolute cocked hat ...

16. I've watched/plan on watching many of one's listed by you guys.

Right now I am going through the MythBuster's.

17. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    If you like facts/documentaries and the ancient world I cannot commend highly enough going on Youtube and searching for "John Romer". I am partway through "Byzantium The Lost Empire" and it is a masterpiece. It's a delight to watch something that assumes the viewer has a brain, and doesn't need to be:
    Told what the programme will tell them
    Told what they have been told already
    Told what is coming after the break
    Told what they have been told already
    Told what is coming after the break
    ...and so on, in the modern fashion. Most of these were made in the early '90s and stand up very well today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWljhb1DEQ8

Romer is a very engaging speaker, who brings the past to life. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    For the second time in as many days, I find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with you on something media-related. It surprises me these documentary makers (discovery, NG anyone?) Haven't pulled out their own hair out of frustration with the endless self-repeating they have to do.… I mean, surely it's the network catering to people with the attention span of a housefly on Red Bull, rather than the documentary makers actually believing that this makes for a good documentary?

19. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Formulaic TV / Formulaic Novels / Fomulaic Music = modern curse

Originality & Freshness is what I want to see more of

most of the time it seems like spot the cliche II

20. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I watched The Wire a few years ago. All five seasons. Binge watched it all strung together. A most fascinating example of what can be achieved in long form story telling. Nothing on TV has been able to hold my attention as much since. It effectively killed off watching serials on TV for me. I don't own a TV anymore.