1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GPS on cameras and Google earth.

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by Ripleysbaby, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I have a very nice Garmin GPS for walking.(If i need it)
    I have a very nice GPS app on my phone to use in my car. (If i need it)
    Most of the time they are OFF. Unless I need them ON.
    GPS on cameras. And mostly location services on smart phones. Mine is OFF .

This morning I had a spare half hour to Look at flickr. I had fun, and i also found out the
    location of (close enough anyway) Of a nice collection of Leica's.
    A secluded barn housing a rather expensive speedboat.
    Someone's secret beautiful waterfall location (they are not going to tell where it is !) ha ha.
    So early tomorrow morning. (if i was so inclined) I could be heading for the coast to take
    pictures of my new boat with my new Leica.

GPS ! Leave it on if you really want to get robbed ! Or worse !

I love Google earth

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Couldn't agree with you more. There are stories, apocryphal maybe, but with an uncomfortable ring of truth - of ex-husbands tracking down wives and children in hiding from domestic abuse...

Where I am - or have been - is nobody's business but mine, and my loved ones. I don't need GPS to direct me back to a favourite photo location. I also, if truth be told, remember that St Mark's Square is in Venice... :rolleyes:

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm with you!!. I never ever had the GPS on, on my F550EXR when I had it, and I never geotag pictures unless they are of places I don't live. You'll notice on my flickr that none of my home shots are geotagged. I do not want the locals seeing where I am. I dont have anything expensive to get robbed but its not about that, for me, its about privacy.

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I dont see geotagging as a memory jolt, but rather a way of showing others whats in your favourite locations, and where, if they feel inclined, they can get similar shots. Lately though, I have been thinking I might switch EXIF data off again.