Ricoh GR Curious, but confused by versions

Warren T.

Regular
I'm interested in finding a used Ricoh GR (the version before the latest GR II), and I'm getting confused by all the different versions that I see on Ebay.

Can you help me sort out which version nomenclature I need to look out for to get the model that I'm trying to target?

"I think" I'm interested in the APS-C sensor model before the GRII (which has features that I don't need like wifi and nfc). How much do these usually cost on the used market?

Thanks.

Warren

I'm no Ricoh expert so don't put too much weight into this, just sharing my experience...

I was looking to get the APS-C model as well, and I simply knew that as the GR. I was totally new to the GR world and was sort of asking the same questions online, and asking myself what I really needed.

My problem came when it was time to finally put money down on one. I couldn't find many used GR's (not the II) for a decent price. They were all running about the same price as the GR II new, which I got on Amazon for $569.

When looking now, I'm seeing seeing used GR's (not the II) running about $499. I felt like having the wifi, and a few more jpeg filters wouldn't hurt in my case. Having those features now, I can see how little I use them if ever. I would say based on that, I would love a GR if the new prices would drop down more.

Either version seems to be an awesome tool, with really useful features and even though mine felt like a toy when I first unpacked it, it has been responsible for me getting some great photos without lugging around my 6d.

You want the one just called the GR. The biggest clue to make sure you're not getting one of the earlier models is the 16 mp sensor. The earlier ones with smaller sensors had 10mp sensors. They're still fine cameras, but the newer GR and GRII with the APS sensor are that much better in terms of sensor performance. A lot of the GR ads don't specify the sensor size, but they all seem to mention the megapixel count, so you should be able to rely on that...

-Ray

Also when shopping for a used GR, be aware that dust on the sensor is a fairly common problem. And if the seller shoots mostly wide open, they may be unaware that the camera has the problem. Good luck in your search.

Also, there seems to be this belief among some that the GRII is more resistant to dust than the GR. I really doubt that's the case as they both have the same mechanisms, so don't let that be a deciding factor.

Also, there seems to be this belief among some that the GRII is more resistant to dust than the GR. I really doubt that's the case as they both have the same mechanisms, so don't let that be a deciding factor.

My GR II has dust, that much I know. It's my own fault for putting it in my pocket often, but the convenience of it can be beat. Plus, I lets me work on some PP dust removal skills if I ever run it at f11-16. Outside of that I'm not seeing it much.

Back