Ricoh GR - developing raws to match jpgs?

tilman

All-Pro
bit of a noob question (have the camera now for a week) - apologies if this has come up before!

Ricoh provides Silkypix with the GR.
Will the raw-files developed in Silkypix match the GR's in-camera-jpgs (including effects like "Positive Film", etc.)?

I haven't come around to installing it yet (which would answer my question ;-) ), but I thought I'd ask first. I'm not overly keen on installing and learning yet another raw-converter unless there's a good reason for it... :)

Had Silkypix once. Didn't like it at all. I'm a lightroom user and as yet i've not been able to replicate the GR's Positive and bleach bypass setting.
Lately I have had the effects turned off. (unless shooting b&w), and am happiest developing raw to my own liking.
I'm pretty sure Silkypix does not have a one touch effect setting for the GR.

Ah, shame. :( I was hoping that Ricoh would provide something like Olympus does with their Viewer3 Software or Canon with DPP...

I know that there's in-camera raw-processing... but something that would enable me to batch-re-process some photos e.g with different white-balance or with/without a photo-filter would have been great.

Heard bad things about Silkypix before, that's why I'm hesitating to install it...

If you want to set defaults and develop in a batch, Silkypix is OK, as long as all your expectations match, i.e. no unexpected lens corrections or whatever.

If you want to set defaults and develop in a batch, Silkypix is OK, as long as all your expectations match, i.e. no unexpected lens corrections or whatever.

But Silkypix won't be using the same algorithms/recipe as the in-camera raw-processor, right?

Because if Silkypix doesn't match the look of the out-of-camera jpgs then there isn't really a point in using it - if you already have a raw converter that you like(?)

But Silkypix won't be using the same algorithms/recipe as the in-camera raw-processor, right?

Because if Silkypix doesn't match the look of the out-of-camera jpgs then there isn't really a point in using it - if you already have a raw converter that you like(?)

If Silkypix is supplied for or recommended for your camera by the camera mfr. (ex: Panasonics), then there shouldn't be a problem unless you're using a lens that needs special corrections. Silkypix isn't one of the big softwares that has corrections for all kinds of cameras, unless that's a plug-in. I assume if someone is even considering Silkypix, it's because it's free with the camera purchase.

If Silkypix is supplied for or recommended for your camera by the camera mfr. (ex: Panasonics), then there shouldn't be a problem unless you're using a lens that needs special corrections.

I'm not really concerned that Silkypix won't support the Ricoh GR raw files. It's provided with the camera, so it will.

I was simply wondering if Ricoh passed on their "recipe" for raw conversions to Silkypix - resulting in Silkypix's raw conversions looking like the in-camera-jpgs.
(Much like Olympus Viewer 3 or Canon DPP can create jpgs that are identical to the in-camera jpgs - if you leave the settings untouched)

Or if Silkypix is only provided as a general solution for raw conversion. And its default-results will have slightly different colours from the camera-jpgs.
Much like Lightroom or Capture One will each have a slightly different rendering.

I suspect the latter. But I guess I'll just install it and see for myself.
Apologies if I didn't make myself clear enough :)

No need to apologise, it's just that I don't think many of us have used Silkypix (well I haven't) because the GR raw files go so well with Photoshop or Lightroom. They are DNG files after all.

I've used the SilkyPix version supplied with my K-01.
Quick answers:
  • It does not do the same as Olympus with their filters.
  • I find it is most useful for quick touch-ups. I really like its ability to apply predefined colour schemes (Film, DGN Standard, DGN Film).
For me, it gives good results quickly. Not too much of a learning curve either.

Back