GR - developing raws to match jpgs?

Discussion in 'Ricoh GR (APS-C) Forum' started by Tilman Paulin, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    bit of a noob question (have the camera now for a week) - apologies if this has come up before!

Ricoh provides Silkypix with the GR.
    Will the raw-files developed in Silkypix match the GR's in-camera-jpgs (including effects like "Positive Film", etc.)?

I haven't come around to installing it yet (which would answer my question ;-) ), but I thought I'd ask first. I'm not overly keen on installing and learning yet another raw-converter unless there's a good reason for it... :)

2. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Had Silkypix once. Didn't like it at all. I'm a lightroom user and as yet i've not been able to replicate the GR's Positive and bleach bypass setting.
    Lately I have had the effects turned off. (unless shooting b&w), and am happiest developing raw to my own liking.
    I'm pretty sure Silkypix does not have a one touch effect setting for the GR.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Ah, shame. :( I was hoping that Ricoh would provide something like Olympus does with their Viewer3 Software or Canon with DPP...

I know that there's in-camera raw-processing... but something that would enable me to batch-re-process some photos e.g with different white-balance or with/without a photo-filter would have been great.

Heard bad things about Silkypix before, that's why I'm hesitating to install it...

4. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

If you want to set defaults and develop in a batch, Silkypix is OK, as long as all your expectations match, i.e. no unexpected lens corrections or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    But Silkypix won't be using the same algorithms/recipe as the in-camera raw-processor, right?

Because if Silkypix doesn't match the look of the out-of-camera jpgs then there isn't really a point in using it - if you already have a raw converter that you like(?)

6. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

If Silkypix is supplied for or recommended for your camera by the camera mfr. (ex: Panasonics), then there shouldn't be a problem unless you're using a lens that needs special corrections. Silkypix isn't one of the big softwares that has corrections for all kinds of cameras, unless that's a plug-in. I assume if someone is even considering Silkypix, it's because it's free with the camera purchase.

7. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm not really concerned that Silkypix won't support the Ricoh GR raw files. It's provided with the camera, so it will.

I was simply wondering if Ricoh passed on their "recipe" for raw conversions to Silkypix - resulting in Silkypix's raw conversions looking like the in-camera-jpgs.
    (Much like Olympus Viewer 3 or Canon DPP can create jpgs that are identical to the in-camera jpgs - if you leave the settings untouched)

Or if Silkypix is only provided as a general solution for raw conversion. And its default-results will have slightly different colours from the camera-jpgs.
    Much like Lightroom or Capture One will each have a slightly different rendering.

I suspect the latter. But I guess I'll just install it and see for myself.
    Apologies if I didn't make myself clear enough :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    No need to apologise, it's just that I don't think many of us have used Silkypix (well I haven't) because the GR raw files go so well with Photoshop or Lightroom. They are DNG files after all.

9. muzee

muzee SC Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    I've used the SilkyPix version supplied with my K-01.
    Quick answers:
    • It does not do the same as Olympus with their filters.
    • I find it is most useful for quick touch-ups. I really like its ability to apply predefined colour schemes (Film, DGN Standard, DGN Film).
    For me, it gives good results quickly. Not too much of a learning curve either.

10. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks everyone!
    My conclusion is to install Silkypix over the next weekend to test it. :)